PDA

View Full Version : Fluid rendering problems.

ovspianist
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
OK TWO QUESTION, i've gone mad...

first is that how to successfully render a glass of orange juice? i'm an fx guy and now trying to get a really nice juice render, coz rendering department don't do well in simulated geometry. I can use mental ray in the project, just don't get how to render it beautifully. it's translucency and a little bit transparency, even though i know these things i still can't get a good result. can i ask how you guys do stuff like this in production? what material and shader is best for this? and what feature do i have to use?

second, seems to be a classical problem, the fluid side wall is intersecting with the glass, i remember somewhere i read about it's a good situation for rendering fluid in glass. but i don't know how to do it in mental ray, i've read it in a vray tutorial. i still get the wall edge clearly shown in the render, instead of being magnified and distorted like a real glass of water, or juice.

Please, any advice or suggestion will be appreciated! really urgent!

thank you in advance!!

cbamber85
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
For proper orange juice, you need to use subsurface scattering.

And yes, for fluids in glass you need the fluid slightly intersecting the glass wall surface, this stops the 'air-gap' effect where the fluids appears to be hovering inside. There isn't a special setting in mental ray - your geometry is either intersecting the inner glass edge or it isn't.

ovspianist
07-18-2009, 02:48 AM
but now i get the clear edge of the fluid intersecting with the glass, how to get rid of it?

cbamber85
07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Post a picture, you have confused me.

The surface of the fluid, where it should be against the glass, should slightly intersect (overlap) the inner surface of the glass.

There is another technique used in the Architectural Guide, where you model three different surfaces, for each 'medium interface'. Try that if you have no success.

Cheesestraws
07-18-2009, 12:36 PM
The shader talked about in this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=758060&highlight=liquid+glass) thread should help you get the intersection between the glass and the fluid right.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2009, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.