PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the Lightwave 8 booth so far ?

robinson
07-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to hear your opinion, what do you think about Lightwave 8 so far ? :shrug:

There where a lot of hot flaming weeks, but finally there is some info about Lightwave and hehe Luxology. :argh:
Hope this thread is not going into total chaos, I mean we discussed the Newtek/Luxology issue to often on this forum and there are already to many streaming problem threads !:curious:

-mindcache-
07-29-2003, 11:55 PM
So far I'm extremely impressed. I have been watching the virtual booth stream off Newtek's website which despite the messages I've seen here has been very smooth.

The Character tools and bone dynamics look extremely efficiant not to mention just out right amazing. I am a little worried that nothing has really been shown on the modeller and rendering side. The character and animation tools are something that absolutely needed to be focused on. Hopefully we'll see at least some "needed" updates done in Modeler and Render areas. (I have a feeling we'll just see more dropped in plugins in the modeler area) *prays for quality integrated Edge/Loop tools*

The character tools themselves are worth this update and then some even if other areas haven't been focused on as much. Knowing Newtek I'm sure we'll be seeing some of those tastey free feature updates. Accelerated rendering(GL/GPU accelerated) would be very nice to see.

eggy
07-30-2003, 12:06 AM
They just showing us the dynamics and character improvements over and over again, these improvements look great so far but is there anything else ?
Ok something like keytrack and undos (WOW, they just said 40 undos) and redos in Layouter are there too, but seriously anything else ?

How fast is the new bones system ?
I guess I will need to test it by myself first. :shrug:

-mindcache-
07-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Well they seem to have keys/key editing available right on the time line itself which is keytrack-ish still not as good a system in my opinion as having a full dope sheet

Nemoid
07-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Well i saw all the informations Nt gave, as well as Lux infos, and I have to see also Nt seems being working damn well to enhance Lw. I think that lw[8] will be very good, but that we will see more in the future releases, 8.1,2 etc. because this release is starting now with Sigg, and so there will be some time to enhance Lw more and more.

If Nt will do what i'm thinking, surely Lw will have a great and long life for the years coming.

jmcalpin
07-30-2003, 01:12 AM
I think what they have is amazing.

but from the crowd it seems the non lightwave people are saying...so... everyone has that, what? is that new for lightwave?

not a good response from the crowd I think.

They need to really show off the new ik system since the only thing that is like it is dedicated animation programs (i may be wrong about that)

They also should ask how many lightwave users are in the crowd then tailer it to look we added undo to layout for the lightwavers and look we have animated UV textures to the rest....

I would make a list of lightwaver requested enhancements and enhancements that will lure away maya/max etc users or at least get them looking.

I like the demos nice range of fan/pro shorts and reels.

Personally I'd like to see the animated UVs. It would be cool if they went from object > bone > lights > camera, envelopes... you know start on one side and go through them all.

overall i'm impressed but would like to see more.

Jason

Limbus
07-30-2003, 01:48 AM
I think the new features look very good. But most if it is nothing new in other packages so NewTek is just catching up. Im really disapointed that there are no big changes in modeler and renderer. With software like Messiah Studio 1.5 and Modo ccoming out before or with LW 8 I would ahve expected more from NewTek. I hope the 8.x releases will catch up.

Florian

Gollum
07-30-2003, 02:10 AM
The whole softbody-, hardbody- and bone-dynamics and how they can interact look really impressive IMO. The character tools are also a great addition and should really make rigging and animating a lot easier and more fun. The whole IK/FK switching and setup is way beyond what's currently in LW also. Even the basic workflow seems to've finally gotten some attention again (that part has pretty much remained on the same level for ages now). All in all I'm impressed by what I've seen so far, definitely getting this upgrade!
:thumbsup:

colkai
07-30-2003, 11:24 AM
I think most of the crowd were dead.
I mean - they have industry guys out there asking for questions, na-da, then one sad voice pipes up "how many computers do you use" - sheesh!
If I had been there, the guy woulda been stuck for like ages as I pestered him ;)

You occasionally heard a lone voice (obviously a waver) come out with a "wow" - or "cooool" - which tended to elicit a grin from Deuce :D

I think they *have* to show some other stuff over the next couple of days. Based on what Larry and others have been saying - I guess that will happen. Though of course they are so happy with the character tools they have to big 'em up.

When Proton edited keyframes in the timeline, there was no reaction from the audience - even Deuce commented on that! I mean - keyframe mainuplation in the slider - wow!

My wife is pi**ed that I'm locked in my little room watching the computer all night, but I think she partly understands - and it *is* only once a year.
(Even so I think I may pay for it ;) )

KillMe
07-30-2003, 01:52 PM
it does seem tha lw has been playing catch up but for now that should at least keep us wavers happy -and hopefully with some serious work on point releases we will be back to cutting edge stuff soon enough

Miyazaki
07-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by eggy

Ok something like keytrack...

Uhh. I missed something. Did they implement a dopesheet? Plz tell me :drool:

EDIT:
Sorry I missed this :blush:
Originally posted by swank
Well they seem to have keys/key editing available right on the time line itself which is keytrack-ish still not as good a system in my opinion as having a full dope sheet

Robsi
07-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Miyazaki
Uhh. I missed something. Did they implement a dopesheet? Plz tell me :drool:

EDIT:
Sorry I missed this :blush:

Im afraid no real dope sheet, and as far I could see there are no selection sets. So I will continue with keytrak :hmm:

Regards, Robert

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.