PDA

View Full Version : trailer for Percy Jacksona $ the Olympains

mrcreepy
07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
as title. cool trailer. suppose to be the north American version of Harry Potter.
http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/brightcove/us/moviefone/trailers/2009/percyjacksonandthelightningthief_032797/percyjacksonandthelightningthief_trlr_01_720p_dl.mov

rwijaya
07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
link is broken

SheepFactory
07-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Works fine here.

Matt Leishman
07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
works fine here too.
these books are great, I LOVED reading them. I don't know about the whole "Harry Potter for North America" thing. I didn't realize that the UK had the claim on that book/show. Anyways, I'm really excited for this film ... hopefully it'll be as fun as the book.

leigh
07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I didn't realize that the UK had the claim on that book/show.

It was written by a British author, it takes place in Britain, the main characters/actors are all British, the films were all shot on location in Britain... how exactly is it not a British series? :curious:

cresshead
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lightning_Thief

Matt Leishman
07-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I never said it wasn't a British series. Its plain to see that the books take place in the UK, and yes, everyone knows that J.K. Rowling is a British citizen.
My comment was directed to the fact that it seemed weird that mrcreepy stated that this movie was North America's version of Harry Potter. I interpreted that as though he was saying that North America didn't have a Harry Potter ... but in my mind it does have a Harry Potter ... its called "Harry Potter". I just figured that if the books and movies are distributed worldwide, then we can all claim to have exposure to it and, in our own little spheres of influence, feel as though we have our own little claim, or love, for it.
I do see your point however, but I'm looking at his statement from a different perspective, and therefore we differ on our opinions of what he meant.
I apologize to you mrcreepy, and also to all citizens of the UK. I'll do better next time to more fully recognize those things that are culturally important to you and your countrymen.

go hendo.

DuttyFoot
07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
wow that looks really interesting.

Geta-Ve
07-18-2009, 04:08 AM
The only link to Harry Potter that I got from the trailer was the fact that the same director is making, well, directing this.

Looks interesting anyways!

pem
07-18-2009, 07:48 AM
The "American Harry Potter" reference makes more sense if you have read the series:

Typical fantasy stuff: young lad finds out he has special powers, he is the "chosen one" survives multiple quests through several books with his two buddies, a girl and a comic relief as he grows up into a man before finally saving the world in a climactic battle with evil incarnate. Standard hero myth although it is nicely written with a good sense of humour throughout. Not as dark as the last Harry Potter books and more consistently good writing. Hopefully it will come through as a good movie (series?).

mccg
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds like the American Harry Potter ;)

cresshead
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
maybe they hope to overlap the potter's audiences toward this as potter winds up it's story and get them onboard this hollywood knockoff.

intersting that this usa based story is using greek mythology to make up for the lack of a extensive history in the states, it being only a couple of hundred years old whereas the greeks have thousands of years to pull from.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.