PDA

View Full Version : Cacheing Mental Ray Final Gather 3DS Max

rendermedia
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi All,

I have loaded up a jeff Pattern sample scene and did a straight MR final gather render and it looked nice,

then somthing weird happened to the FG,

I cached the final gather map, and then pivoted the camera and rendered from a different view, what I expected to be in shadow was not.

I would have thought that caching the final gather map would included the whole scene or does it do it only from the camera view,

Many Thanks,
Mark

kanooshka
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Final Gather does in fact cast rays from the camera. Under Final Gather's options there's a checkbbox for "Enable Map Visualizer" if you enable this and then render again you'll be able to see exactly where the rays are being shot. This may help you understand what's going on.

If you would like to freeze your final gather with a moving camera one method is to turn rebuild off and render your scene from multilpe angles until your final gather file contains all of the ray data it needs. Once that is true you can set your rebuild mode to Freeze.

rendermedia
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey

Thanks for that, I have built up the final gather map by rotating the camera around in all the detail I need to see, the only thing I am getting now is what I can only describe as patchy marks on the roof of the model,

I have increased the final gather settings and up'd the noise but that doesnt make a difference,

Regards
Mark

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.