PDA

View Full Version : wanting to learn blender...need your help!

waterhycinth
07-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Howdy!
I'm really itchin to learn blender and I want to do this by trying to model something and just head dive into it. But what? I don't know what to do that will be interesting and yet will give me a good beginner's approach. I was thinking about doing a small scenario of "salter" and "peppy" where it's a salt and pepper shakers that are alive....what do you think? (I also had an idea of a small hedgehog like animal like Sonic back in the day...) :shrug:

sundialsvc4
07-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Start by reading. Read all the tutorials, methodically. "Keep your eyes wide open."

Don't table your aspirations ... not by any means! ... but, "Be Prepared." Keep your target firmly in view, then learn all that you can about any tool, technique or feature that might be remotely applicable to it. (And if it doesn't seem to be, "stick it under your hat for next time." At least, you will have "seen it before," and that's always good for something.)

"Knowledge Is Power."

Be prepared for a steep ("cast-iron skillet in your face" ... "pw-a-a-a-ang!") learning curve. "Hey, no harm no foul... it goes with the territory."

Expect this, and dive in. (Believe it or not, "the water's fine.")

waterhycinth
07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
that sounds more like a story than suggestions.....oooohhhh i see....those words in italics are hints.... :banghead: wot a fool i am....

*keeps eyes open* :surprised

waterhycinth
07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
thanks! also, something weird's happening with my blender....it crashes upon startup....like my screen goes black (not good) and then i go to blender and it shows Not Responding....I think it's something to do with my video card....or maybe Quicktime (read something about it at blender.org)....any help? I really want to do something in there! :bounce:

*edit*
just realized that I didn't put anything in here to help decide what the prob is... I'm running Vista, installed Visual C++ and Python while installing Blender...I already have Direct X I think...

I am using an NVidia Card and I might can get specs if need be.

unhurdof1
07-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi, I'll post some links here for you in just a sec. Check back soon. Be right back.:)

Here you go. If you're very new here are some nice video tutorials:

blendernewbies (http://blendernewbies.blogspot.com/search/label/Video%20Tutorial)
blenderunderground (http://blenderunderground.com/2007/07/18/blender-basics-part-1-video-tutorial-completed/)
tufts (http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html) (click where it says 'Blender Video Tutorials')

as a quick primer, maybe you may want to check this video out as well:

blendernewbies selecting objects primer (http://www.blendernewbies.com/tutorials/swf/pmf/primer/select_nav_objects/select_nav_objects.html)

If you want to make something cool as a newb that will make you FEEL like a pro, try some of J.Williamson's tutes at cg cookie:

cgcookie (http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/blender)

hope this helps

Edit: Hmm, as for your problems with running Blender, try uninstalling and reinstalling first. Check the basics, like making sure you downloaded the correct install for your computer. Also be sure to install Python 2.6. You will be prompted to install Python when you install Blender.

Toiwat
07-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I suggest you watch the video tutorials (http://www.blender.org/education-help/video-tutorials/) available on the blender.org website under Education & Help (http://www.blender.org/education-help/). You have to download them but it's worth it and they're not heavy files. Begin with those under "Getting started" and then the modelling tutorials - I personally fave GreyBeard's ones.

Those video tutorials are made using an old version of Blender (2.34), but basic concepts and modelling practices are unchanged. There are two main things different that should be aware of: Sub-Surf buttons are now a modifier (controls are still the same, only in a different place) and since some tutorials feature UV mapping parts, you'll hear about UV/Face select mode - that mode now doesn't exist anymore and it has been merged with Edit Mode. Anyway, if you try to access UV/Face select in current versions of Blender you're presented with an explanatory note, so you shold have no trouble.

I'm suggesting the videos because I find that both having someone explaining while watching the actions on screen is a very efficient method to familiarize with the interface of the program.

A good reading is the wikibook Noob to Pro (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro), that teaches all the basics of the program.
Also good is Introduction to Character Animation (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Animation/BSoD/Character_Animation) that guides you trough modelling, rigging and animating a character.

Aside from tutorials, when you feel sure and confident enough, take on a project of your own, something that you like and you would really want to model. You like airplanes? Or maybe cars? Choose your favourite and try modelling it. It might be hard, but you'll learn along the way. Good luck! :)

waterhycinth
07-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Okay, so I tried reinstalling, no luck. I did however got to try running it with the debugging turned on...here's what I got:

Compiled with Python version 2.62
Warning: could not determine argv[0] path
Checking for installed Python. . . got it!
Color depth r 8 g 8 b 8
Aux buffers: 4
read file
Version 247 sub 5
read file
Version 245 sub 16

ordered
OBCube
OBLamp
OBCamera

Registering scripts in Blender menus...

Getting menu data for scripts from dir(s):
default: C:\Users\Brent\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts

BPyMenus error: Wrong 'Name' line: flt_filewalker.py
Color depth r 8 g 8 b 8
Aux buffers: 4

I also did the blender -h to find the version I'm trying to run: Tried running Blender 2.49 (sub 2) Build

And then the problem comes to my attention! My screen goes black then Blender went to not responding mode and after about a minute......voila!
I get a nice little error message:

The NVIDIA OpenGL Driver encountered an unrecoverable error and must close this application.

Error 13

So....what does this mean? I have no clue....anyone out there? Please tell me that this means I can still run blender! :cry:

stargeizer
07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Pretty simple: The NVIDIA driver you have installed is producing problems... The best is that you go to the web page of your videocard manufacturer and download the lastest driver of your card. If you are using a notebook, the manufacturer of your notebook can help you.

I've seen some problems with older drivers and some 6xxx-7xxx nvidia cards... If you own these models, you **really** need a driver update.

There's also the possibility that you already have the lastest driver, but some leftovers of older drivers are in... uninstalling the driver, restart windows, reinstall the driver can also help.

Good Luck

J.

waterhycinth
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Okay, so I uninstalled it then freaked cause there was no display adapter in the control panel, rebooted and it found my stuff and then i install the newest driver for my display.....tried blender....it works! :p Hopefully it will stay working from now on! Thanks guys and I will be sure to try out all the tuts and probably model some and let you all see it....btw, where should i post it? Like, since I'm a newb at this, should I do a wip? or just keep replying to this thread? :shrug:

petersjoberg
07-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I've learned Blender well enough to deliver still material for posters and also a film clip of a event marketing set for a pitch. This I did in about two months with an average of maybe 3h per day. I basically promised my boss and my client I could deliver and then I learned the software, and I pulled it off :)

I think having a project is a great way to go because then you'll have to try until you solve the hurdles you come across instead of just avoid them. Just google, there are tutorials in different shapes and levels (youtube tutorials are great for instance).

However, if I were you I'd start out with a still (maybe a table with the salt and pepper) and take care of animation when you're used to the program.
Also, it isn't always the obvious things that take time, for instance lighting is extremely importante and might take more time than you think.

Good luck!

waterhycinth
07-18-2009, 03:12 AM
okay, so I opted to do the basic Gingerbread man tut that's with blender.org.....but....
I got to the mouth part where you go Extrude->Scale....but mine scales differently....

Theirs scales the vertexes along grid lines where as mine doesn't. Is this some trick not mentioned right there or was this a different version issue?

Btw, this stuff is gonna be hard...I can tell :banghead:

stargeizer
07-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Can you post a screen??...

Probably the object snap is on... maybe you do some previous extrude (in Blender, when you extrude something and cancel, the vertex generated aren't erased... maybe this is causing issues)... hmmm.. can be some other thing...

J.

waterhycinth
07-18-2009, 03:45 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144369

Okay, I attached it...it's the upper portion that's weird....instead of scaling at an angle like mine...the tut's went just straight up...

danielHinton
07-20-2009, 12:32 AM
you may need to scale along a specific axis, like so:

[s] [x] [10]

would scale the selected vertices along the x axis by 10. Don't forget that a good proportion of the tutorials you find online for Blender will either not be perfect (ie contain some typos) or simply not work with your version of blender. the best thing to do is to install a the version of blender which is correct for the tutorial and work from there. you'll find a lot of issues disappear that way...

finally - working in 3d is all about solving problems - creatively, logically, however you choose to do so! be prepared to "make things fit" or come up with workarounds to get to the end result.

Good luck!

Dan

Toiwat
07-21-2009, 12:48 PM
It probably is related to the Pivot Point selected. Make sure that it's set to Median Point, as the tutorial suggests, before extruding the mouth.

waterhycinth
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
yes! that works much better! thanks! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.