PDA

View Full Version : 11am Stream showing Character Tools

Dillon
07-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Howdee folks,

Coming out of lurk mode just to say that Proton announced they'll be showing the new character animation tools (called them character fx tools?) at 11am PST. Thats 10 minutes from now.

The dynamics they showed earlier was interesting - seems like an easier, beefier, faster Motion Designer. Yay.

Dillon

Bytehawk
07-29-2003, 06:50 PM
it 's on right now.

kewl stuff.

did ya see the demo on the grand canyon.

Dillon
07-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Yeah ... hypervoxel canyons ... quick and cool.

EvilDan
07-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Pretty sweet looking update. The rigging seems a lot easier and faster.

froggyplat
07-29-2003, 07:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

nice character tools!

EvilDan
07-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Seems like they added some features from Motionbuilder :applause:

froggyplat
07-29-2003, 07:12 PM
auto ik and bone dynamics...damped oscillators for floppy appendages with the click of a couple of buttons...sweet stuff there!

Dillon
07-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Just finished watching the "Character FX" demo ...

Near real time dynamics (on the pigs ears at least). Impressive. Can anyone say "automated secondary animation"?

They weren't kidding. They really did concentrate on the character animation tools.

Oh yeah ... editing keyframes right inside the timeline!! YEAH BABY!

Nice job NewTek.

Dillon

Ibanezhead
07-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Neat updates, but LW is still a split app, which adds a since of discontinuity in the workflow...

Bytehawk
07-29-2003, 07:15 PM
no crashes during the demo

and that for a beta....

looked like a really solid package to me

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 07:15 PM
wow so here is a recap

You can now do all your chains ik/fk right on the bones so no more nulls needed.

right click to set everything no more opening the pref panel.

you can set one side of character then right click then copy settings to other side

the demo of Proton doing the rigging showed motion that reminded me of what you see in motion builder. you can interactively set fk/ik with right click at any point on time line and get this, he never activated bones while changing settings just tweaked and worked... really nice stuff

He also showed off the softbody settings. looks like it is interactive as well. select a bunch of frames then pop open the dynamic window and you see a wave form of how the bounce will look from 1st to last frame. you then play it to see if you like it then go back and tweek. alot easier to understand than what they did with motion designer

thats it so far. I might be a little off with the soft body stuff since it began to skip at that point rest is pretty accurat to what i saw.

Jason

Shade01
07-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Is there a dopesheet yet?

milqman
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
dang, the stream is breakin up.

:annoyed:

BUT THIS LOOKS SWEEEEET!

I'm not a fan of this new interface though... i guess i'll learn to love it

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
duece is showing more now so we will see

Rei Ayanami
07-29-2003, 07:29 PM
the HV thing sounded really good (remember 56k) i wish they would post some static pics every so often to go with the stream (any1 listning NT??!)

8 is shaping up pretty good by the sounds of things (ohh puntastic)

Dillon
07-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Yowzas. Proton is sewing onstage.

When did NewTek get into Garment making?

Dillon

PS: The "Tac Head" character showed the robe, and it was cut by scissors. Then Proton showed off a demonstration of sewing two pieces of cloth together, then proceeding to cut them apart with an event effector.

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 07:36 PM
Is there a chance that I could see these demos again?

My conn was slow and missed a lot of the character animation features.

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 07:41 PM
here is the second show

more soft body.

Oh previous showed dynamic driven bones. again you can edit one then copy settings to other bones or to all at once.

sucks. I'm watching at work so I have to run from time to time. I missed the skirt demo. basically they showed off moving points to fix geometry. pretty much what you saw in the clip they posted on the newtek site.

You can also adjust individual particles or even delete them.

particles shown at real time and you can play and tweak them in real time.

looks like you may have to still calculate some softbody stuff. they showed a finger poking the belly of a pig and they had to calculate it although it seems alot faster than it originally was.

annoying that there is such a lag now.

so still no dope sheet info, if there is any.

Jason

Dillon
07-29-2003, 07:49 PM
EDITING KEYS RIGHT IN THE TIMELINE!

Time Range selection,
moving, changing characteristics of, and deleting keyframes

RIGHT IN THE TIMELINE!

That was a big one for me. Its not quite a dope sheet, but its nice to not have to go to the graph editor to do basic tweaks like this anymore

Dillon

milqman
07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
dude, LW8 is MUCH more than I ever thought it would be.

I am blown away, completely.

I get giddy thinking of getting my hands on it when its released.

I have to go eat now.
Hope I don't miss anything cool.

Bytehawk
07-29-2003, 08:06 PM
some footage from the party was shown.

Go ozzy go !!!!

thanks for the peeps

Shade01
07-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Holy crap did you see the bone dynamics!?

Dillon
07-29-2003, 08:30 PM
:thumbsup:

Deam
07-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Just saw a piece of the Character Demo Stream! Really Cool!

:thumbsup: NT

Cman
07-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Character Demo is starting right now! 6pm est

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 10:57 PM
that reel for lost exile (last exile?) looks really good for a combined 2d/3d anime

I finally found a way to record the stream and have been making a best of collection for the past hour.

they seem to be only demoing the softbody/dynamic and rigging today.

J

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 10:59 PM
sliding and deleteing keyframes on the timeline:)

40 undos

Cman
07-29-2003, 11:07 PM
whoa. I had a check written for Kaydara and Motionbuilder... I may be ripping that baby up!! :drool:

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Cman
whoa. I had a check written for Kaydara and Motionbuilder... I may be ripping that baby up!! :drool:

well the tools look good, but there still might be the issue with
'realtime'. Those models on a screaming machine will appear to
be fast. While it looks good, MB 's still gettin my upgrade.

melchior_
07-29-2003, 11:23 PM
I know this sounds like a minor workflow quibble, but if they would make it an option so ctrl-clicking lock/unlock bone controllers would really speed up animating instead of right click>menu. Maybe ctrl right-click would toggle fk/ik too ?
Also I think MotionBuilder is really great but having to go all the way to the mannequin picture to select controllers is kind of a turn off, and trying to select controllers on the mesh itself is a little more difficult than it should be.

Cman
07-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by roguenroll
well the tools look good, but there still might be the issue with
'realtime'. Those models on a screaming machine will appear to
be fast. While it looks good, MB 's still gettin my upgrade.

MB's realtime does take the cake, but you have until Dec to do the MB update right? Maybe play with LW8 before making my final decision. (then again - it's only $200. :rolleyes: )

Shade01
07-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Really the only thing holding character animation back for lw at this point is the realtime factor. Animating is sluggish on my system, but screams in MB. From a tool aspect, I feel like I wouldn't need to switch to MB at this point, Lightwave 8 seems to be an animators dream.

colkai
07-30-2003, 10:43 AM
I think it's likely that MB will still get my upgrade cheque.
After all, there is so much in it that LW still can't duplicate and the price is so reasonable, even for a pauper like me.

Missed the whole HV canyon thing dang it.

Heh - already complaints about no integration meaning LW is rubbish :rolleyes: ONLY 40 undos - jeez - if I had to go back over 40 - I musta messed up big time some place ;) At that point, stepped backup becomes more relevant. (Didn't they say that was in [8]?)

Looking good - though I will also be keen to see what modeller developments are made down the road. No CA am I, but this upgrade will sure make it easier!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.