PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh, I can't see the live stream off siggraph

RudeYuut
07-29-2003, 07:13 PM
All I hear is the sound but I'm not geting any images. I'm on MacOSX, please, please, please help. i need to see LW8.

RudeYuut
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Man that sucks, you need media player 9 in order to see it. There isn't one for the macs. Are there any alternaives?

fourd
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
try this link for direct to media 9 stream..

mms://newtektv.com/siggraph2003

RudeYuut
07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
All I get is the sound, thanks though.

Kvaalen
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
You need Windows Media player 9 which (if I'm not wrong) isn't being developed for Mac anymore. I have WM 7 and I hate it! I wonder how I'll hate WM 9 !?! But oh well I have to download it to be able to see the streaming. :shrug:

pblacklock
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
keep hearing bit of sounds here and there. no pictures though.

shhh listen very carefully, i think there is a new Lightwave8 out there :D

if someone can post some pics from the feed

thanks guys

Mechis
07-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Strangely enough, I have video, but no sound.

exbox
07-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
You need Windows Media player 9 which (if I'm not wrong) isn't being developed for Mac anymore. I have WM 7 and I hate it! I wonder how I'll hate WM 9 !?! But oh well I have to download it to be able to see the streaming. :shrug:

actually, microsoft is finishing up Windows Media player 9 for mac. It will be coming out this year (dont know the specific release date)

Rabid pitbull
07-29-2003, 08:07 PM
poor mac users once again overlooked.... wonder if they will realize what they have done before siggraph is over and choose an alternate media?

well if it makes you feel any better I am downloading the player now, but most likely will not see our hear anything since i am on dial up.:thumbsdow

Para
07-29-2003, 08:14 PM
It isn't that simple actually to just set up stream with some format and play it to the whole world. One of the biggest reasons for using WM9 is that it is 100% free. It doesn't have any kind of license fees or such unlike IIRC QuickTime has and it's quality tops most other formats. Of course it's a sad thing that Mac users can't see the stream, I just hope someone gets this thing recorded or sumthin.

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 08:16 PM
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I still feel pretty pissed on by NT.
What assurance is there that LW8 will be a smooth running program on Mac if NT isn't even aware that their stream can't be viewed by Mac users? What the hell do they know about OSX? Anything?

I sure hope this was just a stupid mistake and we don't get one of these "WMP9 was the best option for the majority of users so that's what we went with" excuses like the F'ing DFX+ deal.

DAMN! :annoyed:

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
i posted some notes to the 11 am thread.

screen shots wont help its stuff that has to be seen in motion. I really hope they make these avaiable to everyone. amazing stuff.

they are playing demo reels now. I'll post notes as I watch the stream... wish i could do more.

j

Kroax
07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
damn.. the picture isnt fluent. why???

the damn thing transfers over 300k per second but i still only see still imges (every 3-5 sec.) and sound? whyyy?

Rei Ayanami
07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
i just get choppy sound, i wouldnt mind just sound if it was allways on, as i have a 56k! ( :cry: ) something else NT should cater for. Macs+Dialups make up a large chunk of the market.

RudeYuut
07-29-2003, 08:34 PM
ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:
I'm pissed, I'm at workand we'e mac based, that's the only reason why I can't see it. I'm on a PC at home.

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey, that wonderful guy Policarpo (remember him?) has a solution for us:
oh stop your whining and get a cheap and fast PC. they only cost $300 or $400.

jeez.

source: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=56736#post56736

Robsi
07-29-2003, 08:43 PM
""damn.. the picture isnt fluent. why???

the damn thing transfers over 300k per second but i still only see still imges (every 3-5 sec.) and sound? whyyy?""

same here, over 300k and 1frame per 3sec. :annoyed:

Robert

Kroax
07-29-2003, 08:43 PM
im getting mad too....damn i broke my wheel-mouse. :annoyed: :thumbsdow

gues you need to be in the usa to watch it :surprised

Willax
07-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Nope, location doesn't seem to be the factor. I'm in California, and am not getting fluid stream. The stream status bar states that network traffic is too busy so it is not shown at original quality. Bummer. Is someone recording this stuff so maybe we could download it later?

Chewey
07-29-2003, 08:52 PM
No video here either and the audio is nice and choppy.

robinson
07-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey zarathustra you forgot to complain on this forum !!!:wip:

http://www.lwg3d.com

jmcalpin
07-29-2003, 09:40 PM
9 or not it is sound only and choppy images.

more slide show than stream

BAROBA
07-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Slideshow here too
I wish there was a HQ avi or qt from the show
plz Newtek?

Lewis3D
07-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Strange. I'am looking at stream form Old 500 MHz P3 with Mediaplayer 6.4 (lates ton Windows NT 4.0). There is no reaosn tha toyu need MP9 'coz oyu need it only if you want to look steam on separate window (external player) instead inside of Web browser. I'am hearing soud very fluent and picture is choopy but i'am watching at 64k link so anything is choppy there :).

Chewey
07-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Hey, that wonderful guy Policarpo (remember him?) has a solution for us:

source: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=56736#post56736

He's such a poetic guy, here's a sample of his work,

"i exist in harmony with my technology... "

he left out the part that says "and at odds with his fellow man..."

what a load of horse manure!:scream:

Eugeny
07-29-2003, 10:11 PM
No picture, no video, f****g Windows with f****g media player and f****g cheap PC :thumbsdow

Zarathustra
07-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Hee hee, thanks Robinson.

Well, I was just checking out the demo on Hard Body Dynamics on a PC and I got nothing out of it. 3 seconds, then buffering... I get "all you do is this" buffering, then "wasn't that great?". Ugh. On a PC with cable modem. I guess I'm just not meant to see any of this. :shrug:

Chewey: I found Poli's comment strange since he left this forum on the moral high ground of not wanting to be around those who engage in inflammatory remarks. Perhaps his cleaning lady is using his identity online today.

Chewey
07-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Hee hee, thanks Robinson.

Well, I was just checking out the demo on Hard Body Dynamics on a PC and I got nothing out of it. 3 seconds, then buffering... I get "all you do is this" buffering, then "wasn't that great?". Ugh. On a PC with cable modem. I guess I'm just not meant to see any of this. :shrug:

Chewey: I found Poli's comment strange since he left this forum on the moral high ground of not wanting to be around those who engage in inflammatory remarks. Perhaps his cleaning lady is using his identity online today.

I sorta forgot what the stated reason was. I thought he just got peeved about having to fight for fanboy attention against his nemesis the notorious Splinegod.

Actually I find this recent heightened hypersensitivity a bit on the silly side.

meloncully
07-29-2003, 10:45 PM
i was just watching and i got to see most of the hard/soft body demo's that proton was putting on. i only got a few pauses from buffering.

very cool. stuff. i was watching for probably an hour and i got to see some of the demo reel and also the guest from Area 51 studios talk about dune and children of dune w/ only a few buffers there. ^_^

Petrik
07-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by jesta78
ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:
I'm pissed, I'm at workand we'e mac based, that's the only reason why I can't see it. I'm on a PC at home.

Well unless you're on high bandwidth it's not going to be much better for you at home. I'm on 56k modem. A word every other 30 seconds and a still image every 60.

BobF
07-30-2003, 12:20 AM
It's a perfect stream here, at least in my son's room.

He was the first one up on the home network therefore sucking my bandwidth dry here on the other end, as I discovered. It buffers here and there on my system but it's quite watchable.

I like what I see so far.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.