PDA

View Full Version : rla zdpeth antialiasing

stretched
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
hi everyone

there is a problem with my rla zdepth, looks like antialiasing problem but i couldnt solve it yet. do you have any idea how to prevent this. i attached afx screen shot. 5 days to deadline. :bowdown:
thnks

stretched
07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
this problem also appears in exr format.

LordSaddler
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
At which bit-depth are your rendering?

DoubleSupercool
07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
By definition an z-depth pass cannot be blurred or have anti-aliased edges. Each colour value represents a distance of the geometry from the camera. The edge of a building can't be 2 metres from the camera and 2.1 metres from the camera.

Perhaps consider doing a fake z-depth pass (like a fog pass) or rendering a coverage pass so you can blur the edges:

http://www.sigillarium.com/blog/lang/en/379/

Not exactly relating to z-depth, but kind of the same idea.

LordSaddler
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
In the End Z-Blur is always a fake and likely to produce artifacts/errors.

Use Matts techniques above. Especially if its just fog you want, you are probably better of with a fog pass you later comp in and adjust via levels.

Also try 32-bit rendering (not sure if your AE plugin supports that) and a optimized depth range, so you get a better "pixel-depth" definition of the area with the "wrong" edges.

OT: Again a case where Matts "Make_Awesome_Now" node really would come in handy... ;)

beaker
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Also try 32-bit rendering (not sure if your AE plugin supports that) and a optimized depth range, so you get a better "pixel-depth" definition of the area with the "wrong" edges.All real z depth files are a float no matter what your bit depth is set to in the renderer.

LordSaddler
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I didnīt know his tools and settings. Iīm using Cinema 4D for example: there you can render RLA only in 8 or 16-Bit for the Z-Pass. He probably comped everthing in AE with the default 8-Bit... All this could result in the described artefacts.

But since the original poster hasnīt answered yet, we can only guess...

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.