PDA

View Full Version : mia jelly

noizFACTORY
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi folks,

Was doing some rnd on jelly shader for a project and here are some results with the mia material.

I have a fractal in the bump slot at a very low value of 0.01 to break up the spec and refraction slightly.
The second image has noise in the bump cranked up to 0.5 bump value and gives some interesting results.

I'd appreciate it if you could point out stuff that could be improved. All the examples have non interpolated refractions as I was getting too blurry results by turning them on. But if I don't turn on interpolated refractions then this jelly might flicker during a sequence render.
I tried setting the grid resolution to double at a higher sampling value but that seemed to improve the result marginally with a greater increase in the render time.

This is in Maya 2008.

-Sachin

Libor
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi,

to me it seems perfect you should make some anim test using softbody dynamics to see it clearly! Could be awesome.

,...hmm If I should nitpick maybe transparent shadow in a tint of a jelly?? I really like the caustics by the way...

anyway really fine

L.

noizFACTORY
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Libor,

Indeed. We're still working on the simulation bit using nCloth (the simulation and shader's look being referenced from the awesome Sprint HD Cam Slo Mo Reel (http://www.vimeo.com/4167288) ).

I understand the part about more coloured shadows. The thing with mia shader is that if I turn on refractive caustics then I lose a lot of those coloured shadows. But for a thick refractive material like this, I guess that's how it would happen. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Someone more familiar with this shader could probably throw some light.

But yes, I too wanted more of those transparent shadows. It would have been great if there was a blend weight factor for that too in the mia shader but I guess that's not physically correct. Thanks for your comments Libor! :)

-Sachin

noizFACTORY
07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Tweaked the shader a bit and changed the lighting setup.

Without caustics:
http://www.sachinmukti.com/uploads/rnd/wip/rnd_jelly_test04.jpg

With caustics (very faint, at the border):
http://www.sachinmukti.com/uploads/rnd/wip/rnd_jelly_test05.jpg

-Sachin

chuckie7413
07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
to get the coloured shadows you desire, could you not break the connection of the mia_material in the mia_material shadow shader slot in shading node and plug in an mib_transparent shadow. In this node you could then add a slight colour to your shadow. Not physically correct but might be aesthetically pleasing.

noizFACTORY
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
to get the coloured shadows you desire, could you not break the connection of the mia_material in the mia_material shadow shader slot in shading node and plug in an mib_transparent shadow. In this node you could then add a slight colour to your shadow. Not physically correct but might be aesthetically pleasing.
The mia shader already does this when you turn on the Transparent Shadows option instead of Refractive Caustics. To get a little bit of both maybe I'll have to cheat it a bit.

Libor
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
how about doing two render passes?!

one with only caustics, one with colored shadow

Compositing should be easy cos caustics basically just add light to your render (screen composite/ simple add)

Regarding my comments...Not at all! Its always nice and pleasant to critise others works :D ...not like receiving it :p

P.S. I like the first versions most....

noizFACTORY
07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Libor,

Yeah, I had actually thought about compositing the two passes together. But now we are going for a simpler look as during a sequence render the caustics and refractions distract a lot from the simulation. So we are heading in a different creative direction now. Hopefully I'll post some renders soon.

I appreciate the comments, thanks Libor! :)

-Sachin

techmage
07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
the only thing I could say is put in some air bubbles or some specks floating in it

other than that its perfect I think

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.