PDA

View Full Version : speed up rendering

Darrell Croswell
05-11-2002, 09:48 PM
hey,
i was hoping to ask how i could speed up my system when rendering (and i mean dramatically).

right now i have dual p3 1000 processors with 512 ram and a 40 gig hard drive....(im not too sure of its clock speed).

what can i put in to make it render much faster???

this week i was going to get another 512 ram card so that i will have a gig of ram. as well i was going to get 2 more hard drives and then stripe them so all 3 work together. would this speed me up??

the reason i ask is that i am using maya and i have a raytraced scene to render out. it is pretty optimised for render time, but is still a long time per frame (like 3-5 hours long), but i must use raytracing for a few reasons.

can anyone give me any advice?

thanks.

tuna
05-11-2002, 10:07 PM
normally the processors make the most differance (unless they are limited by RAM which is not in this case)

i dont know what mobo you have or anything but cpu's are reletavly cheep to go over 1 gig now. especially if they are an AMD.

i'd think if you wanted to get new cpu's you'd need a new mobo ect as well :(

what about getting a copy of that file to another persons computer to render it as well (if you got a generous m8 on a holiday or something ;) )

3DMadness
05-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Yes, you have to change your motherboard and processor to get faster rendering. If you can't spend too much money on it, look for a 1800+ or faster Athlon XP. You will need a new mobo as well, I suggest an ASUS A7V266-E or ASUS A7V333. Oh, you will need new RAM... go to Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair or Kingston and grab a PC2100 266mhz CAS 2 or PC2700 333mhz CAS 2 in case you get the ASUS A7V333. Don't forget to put a good cooler, look for a Thermalright AX-7 with Panflo ajustable RPM fan.
If you can spend some more money, go get a Dual Athlon MP as fast as you can get with Registered PC2100 266mhz RAM. For the mobo, you can go with ASUS A7M266-D.
More ram or another HD in your current computer won't speed up the rendering, raytrace depends much on the processor and the processor's FPU power, and Ahtlon is "the king of FPU".:cool:
BTW, if you sell your Dual PIII 1gig I believe you can buy a single Athlon XP2000+ that will me much faster in rendering...
Cheers!

Flávio

Darrell Croswell
05-11-2002, 11:29 PM
thanks man...you're right: i guess i had better make some new friends hey??:p

Darrell Croswell
05-11-2002, 11:41 PM
i was told that the bottleneck in my system was the slow writing of my harddrive (the fast processors trying to send a lot of info, but the harddrive could'nt write it to disk fast enough). And if i were to stripe a few of them together to work as one it would speed up my system.

have you ever heard of this striping technique??

what is an athalon xp 2000+??? is that a 2 gig processor?
a mobo is a motherboard?

regardless i have to do some upgrading so i might as well switch to athalon i guess....

thanks for the help guys!

3DMadness
05-12-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi Darrell!

Sorry for speaking too technicaly. :)
The striping technique is called RAID, you use 2 HD to act as one and it does speed up writing speed.
But I don't think this is the bottleneck in your system...
Athlon is another processor, made by AMD, instead of your Pentium, made by Intel. The newest model is Athlon XP and the 2000+ is lilke a "perfomance rate", because it runs at 1.66ghz but it can be as fast as an Intel Pentium 4 2ghz (sometimes it's even faster...).
I recommend an Athlon because it is faster and cheaper than those from Intel. But, it uses a different mobo (yes, mobo means motherboard :thumbsup: ) and different RAM, you have to change it.
If you don't like the DIY (do it yourself), I recommend you pay a visit at www.boxxtech.com or www.alienware.com or www.xicomputer.com and try an Athlon based workstation, they make really good machines.
BTW, if you want to try a dual Athlon, it must be an Athlon MP (not Athlon XP), ok? ;)
Cheers! :beer:

Flávio

zen
05-15-2002, 03:11 PM
if you want to speed up rendering DRAMATICALLY, buy a new box, good cpu and enough ram, a switch hub and some network patch cable.

sinistergfx
05-23-2002, 02:26 AM
Actually, if you know what you're doing, you can get AthlonXPs to work in a dual configuration. If anybody' interested, I'll put up the appropriate links (i'm not at my house right now, so the bookmarks aren't handy).

Tellerve
05-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Just want to throw my 2 cents in to the mix. I bought 2 1800+ XPs and they work fine in my gigabyte duallie motherboard and are recognized as MPs. From what I've gathered from reading and posting in other forums, namely www.2cpu.com, is that as long as you got XPs under 2000+ they didn't have a certain bridge cut, L5 i think it was?, anyways. This is probably getting a bit too technical for Darrell. Those sites listed earlier for computers are some good places.

Tellerve

sinistergfx
05-24-2002, 02:08 PM
You can always reconnect that bridge... So, it doesn't really matter

how to: http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=2&aid=393

Tellerve
05-24-2002, 04:27 PM
yep, I know that but I'd consider that a bit more well risky. Not that it really is but for someone that hasn't built his own computer to ask him to start monkeying with his cpu is maybe a bit much.

Tellerve

Adam Klein
05-27-2002, 07:03 PM
stipping your drives makes for faster write, but think about what that is doing to your info....

I have raid and I mirror... if your system goes down, then striping will be impossible to recover data (I think...) because where all that chunked and striping is going is lost...

if you mirror you have 2copies of same thing, much better odds.

getting info from a render to your harddrive is not the issue, you'rer only saving out frames, quite a small chunck of data even if they're without compression...

the comp intesive thing is the render calculations themselves

this is just the way I went, thought it might help
:beer:

I'd like to hear what others think about it too

Stahlberg
05-28-2002, 06:31 AM
I'm very ignorant about hardware issues, but only 512 Mb RAM sounds a bit small to me, Maya Unlimited takes up more than that when I open up an average scene, even when it's not processing anything. So any rendering would immediately start the system disk-swapping, and you said you had slow disks... how much slower might processing with disk-swapping be compared to processing in RAM? A hundred times? A thousand? A lot anyway, and just a little more RAM would solve it. Although of course you could close down Maya everytime you want to render, I used to do that on my old comp with just 384 Mb RAM...

Tellerve
05-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Animation/rendering programs love ram, heck doesn't everyone :love: So yeah, get as much ram as you can afford along with fast processors and you'll be doing well. Assuming also you have a good video card. You won't need SCSI hard drives and all that, although nice.

Tellerve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.