PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Salvation :: Game Production Focus

PaulHellard
07-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey there,

The creation and control of Environments for the 'Terminator Salvation' game came down to Amsterdam's Streamline Studios. Inhouse Art Director Renier Banninga talks about the team and the collaborative aspects of the project. Click to read the feature article and come back to comment.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/streamline_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5163)

SmallPoly
07-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice article. I love run-down overgrown environments.

Psionic Design
07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Interesting article and insights into how they achieved that 'beautiful' scenery!!

SM2011
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Very nice article good job :wavey:

SheepFactory
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Awesome article. I love the videos of the environments.

DeadlyFreeze
07-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Questionable insight from a game so critically panned.

DuttyFoot
07-15-2009, 02:10 AM
the environment looks pretty damn good, but did anyone here play the game.

Venkman
07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
the environment looks pretty damn good, but did anyone here play the game.

Like most licensed material, the amount you enjoy the game is very closely tied to how much you enjoy the property it is based off of.

I love any split-screen co-op games, and I absolutely adore the terminator franchise. I thought the character animations in game where connor runs for cover were fantastic (the way they fill in with appropriate slides and shuffles), and I also enjoyed the worn down environments and on rail segments.

Not to mention the score for the game totally blew away the work Danny Elfman wrote for the movie. The game faithfully translated themes from the original composer, Brad Fiedel, and added their own flair. It just isn't terminator without those classic themes in place. Who doesn't get chills when hearing that creepy drone associated with the T-1000 as he is on the prowl for John Connor?

While critics panned the game, I had a lot of fun, and that to me is the true measure of quality.

JCork
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
After reading this and seeing the amazing environments, I'd have to say that I WANT THIS GAME!

DuttyFoot
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought the character animations in game where connor runs for cover were fantastic (the way they fill in with appropriate slides and shuffles), and I also enjoyed the worn down environments and on rail segments.

Not to mention the score for the game totally blew away the work Danny Elfman wrote for the movie. The game faithfully translated themes from the original composer, Brad Fiedel, and added their own flair. It just isn't terminator without those classic themes in place. Who doesn't get chills when hearing that creepy drone associated with the T-1000 as he is on the prowl for John Connor?

based on the trailer i saw over at gametrailers the game looked fantastic. i thought about getting it but based on the reviews i held back. thanks for this info because now i will check it out.

Venkman
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
based on the trailer i saw over at gametrailers the game looked fantastic. i thought about getting it but based on the reviews i held back. thanks for this info because now i will check it out.

It is very short. It doesn't compare in length to something like Gears of War 2. but I liked it. :)

Swizzle
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Questionable insight from a game so critically panned.I'm pretty sure the article is about neither the storyline nor the gameplay.

DuttyFoot
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
It is very short. It doesn't compare in length to something like Gears of War 2. but I liked it.

thats no problem at all.

Masakari
07-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Well, i worked at Streamline Studios on this game, among others, doing precisely this - environmental work, specifically a crapload of buildings.

I can understand the harsh comments about the game - make no mistake, the actual gameplay is flawed, the game is short, it's definitely a game i wouldn't recommend for the fun factor.

But despite that, i think no one can deny the game looks great, i think we did some excellent urban work, a lot of destruction work that looks both appealing and believable, and the guys that handled the vegetation to give it an extra layer of detail did some excellent work as well.

Considering the nature of the article, and indeed CGSociety, please look at it from an artistic perspective, just because it is a mediocre, licenced game, doesn't mean it has bad art, or bad everything.

Djampa
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Hella work !

Considering the nature of the article, and indeed CGSociety, please look at it from an artistic perspective, just because it is a mediocre, licenced game, doesn't mean it has bad art, or bad everything.

LOL - I really don't know what are you talking about, I should play a trial to check it out, but artistically you guys did a hella work ! :D
The game seems very cool from the trailer and from the screen shots anyway, as well for me, a huge fan of Terminator I think I'll have a lot of fun with it :)

Man... impressive texturing work, very nice expression to the characters, environment really kicks a__ ! :D

Congratulations to you and the whole team ! Good luck !

Thanks for the article, nice reading.

Lman
11-26-2009, 01:57 PM
RIP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamline_Studios

chris89
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
jup :(
We saw it coming, but it still hits hard.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.