PDA

View Full Version : Footrolls

steverage
07-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Im writing a report about rigging and am currently discussing the creation of a custom footroll control. However, i seem to be unable to explain why these are so great?!!

Any offers?!:thumbsup:

MasonDoran
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
its automated....imagine having to keyframe 3 footcontrols....for every footstep the foot makes....with footroll u just have one attribute to animate...so it saves time

jschleifer
07-30-2003, 03:57 AM
except for the fact that you don't always want an automatic foot roll when your foot is moving. Not everyone walks in the same way all the time.. having control over how your feet hit the ground is extremely important.

steverage
07-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Totally, I always like to make sure ive got some manual controls in there too, just to increase the number of poses I can create..

BTW, Im at Teesside Uni doing a masters in computer animation, ur talk @Animex was class - nice one m8:thumbsup:

MasonDoran
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
so in combination with footrolls....its a good idea to have a toe wiggle control.....ball swivel....heel swivel....and a knee twist....that way you have a decent foot setup for most things you need.....and on top of that you the normal trans/rotate controls of the foot.

ntmonkey
08-17-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm stuck on creating a footroll rig for my creature that has 5 toes. I want it to be somewhat automated like using a reverse footlock, but also set driven keys so I can wiggle my toes. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Lu

MasonDoran
08-18-2003, 10:00 AM
just add an attribute on your foot control that is responsible for contolling the toes....and then either hook up the attribute directly to the rotations of the bone via the connection editor or use the set driven key method

bobzilla
08-27-2003, 05:49 PM
I just worked on somethiig similar for a dinosaur I've been working on in Cinema 4D. I made the parent foot null at the ball of the foot, so when I rotate that, the whole foot rotates and the leg (knee) bends, then I used Set Driven morphs to curl the toes back up so they flatten out on the ground when the leg is extended back whenwalking. Fairly easy to work with, not automatic, but not much to fiddle with either.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.