PDA

View Full Version : BodyPaint 3D R2 announced

Srek
07-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Hi all,
on the Maxon website you will find the announcement of Body Paint 3D.

The support for Lightwave and 3d Studio Max has been improved very much and Maya support has been added.

Have fun
Srek

Maxon (http://www.maxon.net)

sulian
07-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Any price ?? (BodyPaint 1 => BodyPaint 2)

Sulian

Thalaxis
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey, I was right! :applause:

It looks like quite an upgrade, too!

EricChadwick
07-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Yay! Projection paint is in! Makes me very happy, been waiting to commit to ZBrush, DeepPaint3D or BP. Maybe now's the time... well at least time to play with the BP2 demo.

Thanks for the heads-up!

pff
07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah, BodyPaint was always more.... quirky and lacked the projection paint option Deep Paint had so i went with DP instead.
Takes a while to get the workflow down w BodyPaint, but itīs way more customizable then DP. And feels more precise somehow. You can actually paint veins and stuff with precision in BodyPaint, something that a lot of the time feels like youīre eyeballing in Deep Paint.

With the new projection paint mode, provided they did a good job on it obviously, I would say BodyPaint has the upper hand now. Even tho navigating 3d space the Maxxon way feels a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, you will learn to cope with it, as its fairly... busy interface, at least its better then the DP way of wandering about your model.

Wonder if there will be any cross platform upgrade offers? Naaaaaahhhh i am sure there wont. My usual luck. Stuck where i have always been.

pff

Srek
07-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by pff
Yeah, BodyPaint was always more.... quirky and lacked the projection paint option Deep Paint had so i went with DP instead.
Takes a while to get the workflow down w BodyPaint, but itīs way more customizable then DP. And feels more precise somehow. You can actually paint veins and stuff with precision in BodyPaint, something that a lot of the time feels like youīre eyeballing in Deep Paint.

With the new projection paint mode, provided they did a good job on it obviously, I would say BodyPaint has the upper hand now. Even tho navigating 3d space the Maxxon way feels a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, you will learn to cope with it, as its fairly... busy interface, at least its better then the DP way of wandering about your model.

Wonder if there will be any cross platform upgrade offers? Naaaaaahhhh i am sure there wont. My usual luck. Stuck where i have always been.

pff

Hi,
cross plattform shouldn't be a bigger problem, just ask your nearest Maxon office.
Projection Painting in BP 2 is freaking cool. Beside simple painting you can clip a bitmap in your viewpoint, fit it to your object and project it. Have a look at some of the demo movies. It's fast too :)
Oh and BP 2 has an option to change the rotational behavior in the interface so Maya and other users feel right at home. Same goes for multiple Mousebuttons

Cheers
Srek

AdamT
07-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Also, the general workflow of BP2 is worlds better than BP1: Setting up materials and UVs can be automated; new UV commands, including Relax UV (high Max6); all-new and highly configurable color picker; live brush preview; much improved material manager; relative cloning--and even scaling and rotation while cloning (something even PS can't do!); cloning in projection paint mode; dodge/burn/sponge tools; etc. etc.!

EricChadwick
07-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Curious about this... if I clone one layer, could I link that painting behavior to other layers? Imagine fixing a patterned seam in the color map, at the same time fixing it on the bump, specular, etc. maps. Not just brushing, but cloning, so the clone sources are coming from each corresponding point within each layer... possible?

pff
07-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Srek
Hi,
cross plattform shouldn't be a bigger problem, just ask your nearest Maxon office.
Projection Painting in BP 2 is freaking cool. Beside simple painting you can clip a bitmap in your viewpoint, fit it to your object and project it. Have a look at some of the demo movies. It's fast too :)
Oh and BP 2 has an option to change the rotational behavior in the interface so Maya and other users feel right at home. Same goes for multiple Mousebuttons

Cheers
Srek

! Whatīs this? Go gentle on me! I am not that used to being treated as kindly as this! Custom rotational behaviours? I get to chose!? Are you allowed to setup you mouse buttons too!?
The speed was there even when i tried it ages ago - you mean itīs faster now?! Cross platform upgrades!? Just talk to my nearest maxon office!?

Better lay down my head is spinning :).

pff

AdamT
07-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by posm
Curious about this... if I clone one layer, could I link that painting behavior to other layers? Imagine fixing a patterned seam in the color map, at the same time fixing it on the bump, specular, etc. maps. Not just brushing, but cloning, so the clone sources are coming from each corresponding point within each layer... possible?
Yes! And not only that, but BP2 is smart enough to automatically clone grayscale into the bump channel even if the clone source is color.

AdamT
07-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by pff
! Whatīs this? Go gentle on me! I am not that used to being treated as kindly as this! Custom rotational behaviours? I get to chose!? Are you allowed to setup you mouse buttons too!?
The speed was there even when i tried it ages ago - you mean itīs faster now?! Cross platform upgrades!? Just talk to my nearest maxon office!?

Better lay down my head is spinning :).

pff

Yep, you can configure up to *five* mouse buttons. :)

EricChadwick
07-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by AdamT
...BP2 is smart enough to automatically clone grayscale into the bump channel even if the clone source is color.

I know I should be asking Maxon, but you seem to be knowledgeable about this...

From your wording it sounds like the clone source is only one channel. For example if I am cloning in the color channel, and have "also-clone-bump" turned on, then are you saying that BP is cloning from the color channel to the bump channel?

Even if it is converting to gray for me, that's not what I'm after. I'm wondering if BP uses the color channel as its own clone source, but at the same time uses the bump channel as its own clone source. I would want it to clone from each channel to itself, if possible, not from one to the other(s).

Make sense? :shrug:

robkoni
07-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi guy's ,Ive been Beta Testing BP2 and its pretty awesome,one of the best features is that you can place and transform textures in Projection paint mode,also you can clone images in Projection paint(you cant do this in Deepaint....yet) and Projection Paint updates faster than Deepaint:thumbsup: the brush,s are the best I have seen in any package ,its a very good program now:applause: :drool:

AdamT
07-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by posm
I know I should be asking Maxon, but you seem to be knowledgeable about this...

From your wording it sounds like the clone source is only one channel. For example if I am cloning in the color channel, and have "also-clone-bump" turned on, then are you saying that BP is cloning from the color channel to the bump channel?

Even if it is converting to gray for me, that's not what I'm after. I'm wondering if BP uses the color channel as its own clone source, but at the same time uses the bump channel as its own clone source. I would want it to clone from each channel to itself, if possible, not from one to the other(s).

Make sense? :shrug:
I got ya'. AFAIK that's not possible, since you can only clone from a bitmap--not from a multilayer file. You can use different bitmaps if you use the texture paint feature, but that's not exactly the same thing.

EricChadwick
07-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by AdamT
... You can use different bitmaps if you use the texture paint feature...

Well that's pretty good right there, would probably do the trick. Thanks.

Ibanezhead
07-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Projection Painting Finally!!!!!!!!! I was so disappointed after buying BP1, when I figured out that I still wasn't really going to be able to paint seemlessly without a heck of a lot of work...

So what's the upgrade price?

Thalaxis
07-29-2003, 09:13 PM
It's $350, essentially a 50% discount. Not bad, and it seems like
quite an upgrade. I'm looking forward to trying out the demo
when I get home :)

Ibanezhead
07-29-2003, 09:39 PM
the upgrade is more than half the cost of the original price? I paid about $600 before tax. Forget that...

Nocturn
07-30-2003, 12:39 AM
I understand the concept of projection painting, but what do you get in the end? If I texture my object in BP using projection mapping, can I export that texture in psd format for example? What would that texture look like flattened? I don't think projection mapping makes the uv's for you does it? You still have to unwrap your model if you want a uvtemplate you can paint on in 2D?

AdamT
07-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Nocturn
I understand the concept of projection painting, but what do you get in the end? If I texture my object in BP using projection mapping, can I export that texture in psd format for example? What would that texture look like flattened? I don't think projection mapping makes the uv's for you does it? You still have to unwrap your model if you want a uvtemplate you can paint on in 2D?

You're confusing projection *painting* with UV mapping. Projection painting still requires good UVs, and it has no effect on the UV maps. PP is like painting on a slide and then projecting the slide from the viewport onto your model(s), so it's completely undistorted from your current viewpoint. When you apply the paint (click the Apply button), it is interpreted on the UVs/canvas--sort of like baking the projection. At that point you can work with it like any other bitmap texture. Probably the best way to understand it is to download the demo and play with it for a while. hth

EricChadwick
07-30-2003, 02:08 PM
One thing I like about projection paint is it can even handle bad (or difficult) UVs, like the poles of a sphere, with ease. It just projects your paint into the UVs that are there, as AdamT says. It works better with a nice UV layout, but it isn't required.

Another thing I like is when I have to paint across a UV seam, where the UVs on one face are a different scale than the UVs on the neighbor face. For example, where the head of a character has higher texture resolution than the body. Without projection paint, the brush size changes as I cross the border, since the pixels are larger/smaller.

Maxon has an example...
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/bodypaint3d/bp3d_r2/screens/with_without_ppaint_pre.jpg
without / with

markyjerky
07-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Nendo had this projection paint 1 BILLION years ago.

LOL.

About time one of the major 3D paint apps got painting over discontinuties handling !!!!

Awwwweeee yikes. Anyone know of a 3D painter that does projection painting for less than $600 ????

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.