PDA

View Full Version : the knowledge of art direction

mcscher
07-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I am looking for learning material that seems to be hard to find. The kind that teaches you the fundamentals so necessary in todays entertainment industry like:

composition
camera
perspective
industrial design (the actual design that follows function)

I want tutorials of any media (DVD, books, ebooks, online courses etc...) that teach me how to approach the task to solving a problem and come up with a new, unique design/funktion) rather than randomly design stuff that only looks cool but is not believable. Tutorials that teach me to understand WHAT I am doing rather than HOW. The kind of tutorials that teach the knowledge the really good Art Directors have, the ones responsible for a really good and believable end product that makes big money and customers are willing to pay for.

Somehow I only see tutorials and books that teach you how to do things from a technical point of view. I want to push my skills on how to validate a design and actually learn the essentials neccessary to become an Art Director....some time in my future.

does anyone know of any learning material covering those points and can give me recomendations?

I know Art Direction is a fairly high position to aim at but if I never start aiming for it, I'll never reach it. I expect this journey to take 6-10 years maybe longer depending on how much education I can get. So I ask for help :)

mcscher
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm still looking. Does anyone have any infos for me?

MrPositive
07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
One DVD set you might look into is the Making of Worms DVD from the Gnomon Workshop.
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/includes/dvds/sva.php
It goes from beginning to end from art direction, layout, storyboards/composition, and then technical on how they did the music video.

There was another one, but I'm having trouble locating it.....

mcscher
07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
yes, tha DVD is good unfortunatelly its not new to me, I already know that DVD. since I'm a big fan of making of's I bought it about 3 months ago. Thanks for the tip though. It really covers a lot of topics and gives a fair amount of knowledge onto its viewer but still I'm looking for something that goes more into depth of the mentioned knowledge. Besides that, a making of is not quite a tutorial eventhough it gives a lot of info for the ones "reading" between the lines. maybe I have to give up on getting my hands on a classic tutorial teaching me stuff I have to learn over time by reading between the lines.

well if anyone has anymore suggestions I'll be happy to hear them.

moidphotos
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
You might find Dream Worlds by Hans Bacher to have some good sections on composition, colour and art direction, I certainly did :) His blog is always worth a read http://one1more2time3.wordpress.com/

Mark Kennedy's blog http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/ is a mine of interesting information, again much of it about composition, but also a lot about camera positions and lens types.

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.