PDA

View Full Version : Why does Mental Ray drop textures some times?

TechnicallyArtistic
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
So I've been rendering some various scenes at work in mental ray, rendering different portions on different computers. It seems like at times Mental Ray drops the textures so the models just come out black, and I'm wondering if anybody has any insight as to why, so I can avoid it.

It seems like it only happens when I finish one scene, or part of a scene, then change to a new place in the time line to render, or a new scene. As in, it won't be rendering a scene and then suddenly drop textures in the middle of a render. I think it's just when I start a new batch render after previously doing one, but I'm not positive about that.

My only thought is that the textures are on the server, and the computer I'm on has lost it's connection to the server some how, so while it can open the scene which is also on the server, it isn't getting the textures any more maybe? It does sometimes loose connection to the server, but then I can't even open that directory, so it would seem odd that I could get to the folder to open the Maya file, but then the textures don't load. And even when it's lost the connection to the server, it's been rendering the scene right with textures and everything, so I'm not sure that idea makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anybody else has any insight on this. I couldn't find any good words to search for to find any additional info on this, so if anybody knows how to prevent this without constantly restarting, that'd be great.

FluidEdge
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
sounds like it could be texture linking but is more likely to be a memory problem. Lack of RAM etc.

Try as a test downscaling the textures to 512k JPEGS and see if it still happens? I suspect you've got too many 4k TIFFs floating around.

MasonDoran
07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Maya or MR would crash if it was a memory problem.

Make sure you export verbosity to Progress, so it will tell you what is happening. If it is a memory problem, it will tell you.

What it does sound like is you are getting a bottleneck with your sever, MR needs to look up the texture, and is timing out.

Try doing this with local textures.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.