PDA

View Full Version : SkyTracer question: loop cycle of moving clouds

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 12:10 PM
I'd like to create a loop cycle of moving clouds. So far I get the clouds moving by animating the Position.X channel of the texture layer (e.g. frame 0: 0m, frame 60: 15m).

Now I want to create a loop cycle so that the clouds are in a continous seamless motion. How do I get the same texture pattern at the end of the animation as at the beginning? I tried to reverse the motion but that looks funny (the clouds are bouncing from the left to the right and back).

Thanks in advance!

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi allaboutkeys,
We just did the same thing two weeks ago:

Duplicate your layer, let's call it layer 2.

On layer 1, set the opacity at frame 0 to 100, at frame 60 to 0.

On layer 2, set the opacity at frame 0 to 0, at frame 60 to 100.
Now, you want layer 2 at frame 60 to be at the position where layer 1 was at frame 0. You also want both to move in the same direction.
So, layer 2, frame 0: -15m, frame 60: 0m.

That should do it.
cheers,
Mike

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 03:04 PM
lightwolf: Sounds reasonable but I don't get it to work. The first and the last frame don't match. Do your frames perfectly match?

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi allaboutkeys,
You might have to play with your blending modes. I'll have to go back to layout and re-check (especially since we did end up doing it differently, not because it dodn't work though...).
Cheers,
Mike

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 03:26 PM
I think it doesn't depend on the blending mode. If I look separately at each layer they still have different patterns though the value in the X.position channel is the same in the start frame of layer 1 and in the end frame of layer 2.

I do get an almost perfect match if the difference is just 1 m. But that's a very slooooooow motion.

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Ah, skytracer, I think I forgot something. Try world coordinates, I think that did the trick for me...

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Setting the textures to world coordinates didn't do the trick. :shrug:

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 03:44 PM
I tell you what, I'll to a quick set-up in Layout and see what's up...
I'll asttach it with the next post.
Cheers,
Mike

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Hi there,
Frame 0 = Frame 60.
Just look at the low altitude clouds...

Cheers,
Mike

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Yes, your file works. I tried different settings and always got the expected results.

I still can't figure out what I did wrong... :shrug:

lightwolf
07-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Be very careful with your coordinates.

You might also be using a procedural texture that animets over time (allthough I couldn't think of one...)

allaboutkeys
07-29-2003, 06:56 PM
lightwolf: Please have a look at my scene file. I can't find the mistake. It should render the same in frame 0 and frame 60 but it doesn't. What did I do wrong?

sky_noloop.lws (http://www.allaboutkeys.com/lightwave/sky_noloop.lws)

lightwolf
07-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi allaboutkeys...
I think that the problem is not the method, but STClouds... :(
Try it with a different procedural, I used "puffy clouds".
Your texture does loop properly, but the procedural evaluation does not seem to be identical for both layers. Very weird, I suspect ST Clouds has a strange bug.
Cheers,
Mike

allaboutkeys
07-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Honestly, I'm glad that it's not me. I really felt kinda stupid... ;)

Thanks again for your help!

BTW: Your location is Stuttgart. Are you German? Schöne Grüße aus dem verregneten Krefeld!

lightwolf
07-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Well, it's not you, or so it seems.
I'm gald to have been of some help to you...

Viele Grüße aus dem sonnigen :p Stuttgart. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.