PDA

View Full Version : forcing highlights not past white?

cgbeige
07-13-2009, 02:46 AM
In Maxwell, there's an option to burn highlights so they don't clip and I'm wondering if there is a similar thing for Mental Ray. I like the contrast of the image I have but right in the upper 10%, it's blowing out to white.

YourDaftPunk
07-13-2009, 05:35 AM
The mr physical lens shader does a great job, but you should probably read up on gamma correct workflow in Maya. Maxwell does this for you I think, but maya is manual. I'd explain how I work here, but the subject is a long one, so search the forums for the numerous posts on the subject.

Edit: you can probably just slap on the simple lens shader and leave gamma at 1.0 and the highlights will roll off more gently, but that wont give you a Maxwell look. You need correct gamma workflow.

cgbeige
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
well I'm not looking for photo realism here since I'd just use Maxwell for that so the physical lens should do it. thanks

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.