PDA

View Full Version : speed up rendering

Darrell Croswell
05-11-2002, 08:32 PM
hey,
i was hoping to ask how i could speed up my system when rendering (and i mean dramatically).

right now i have dual p3 1000 processors with 512 ram and a 40 gig hard drive....(im not too sure of its clock speed).

what can i put in to make it render much faster???

this week i was going to get another 512 ram card so that i will have a gig of ram. as well i was going to get 2 more hard drives and then stripe them so all 3 work together. would this speed me up??

the reason i ask is that i am using maya and i have a raytraced scene to render out. it is pretty optimised for render time, but is still a long time per frame (like 3-5 hours long), but i must use raytracing for a few reasons.

can anyone give me any advice?

thanks.

mlykke
05-17-2002, 01:13 PM
Optimizing the scene and your render settings can give tons of extra speed. But a fast render also helps. :=)

Besides that... if you got enough ram so that your system doesn't need to swap on the HD while rendering, then you got enough ram.. that sounded wierd.

But all in all... its the CPU that makes the calculations. So if everything else is great and optimized then you could change to a faster cpu. But a dual P3 is quite fast.

Render in layers and composite it all together is another solution.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.