PDA

View Full Version : character: goblin (WIP)

Werner
07-29-2003, 10:37 AM
something that started out as a speed modeling excersise. I still need to do lots, but I thought I would get some comments from my LW family. ;)

goblin - smooth (http://www.3dluvr.com/ziemdesign/images/extra/WIP/goblin/smooth.jpg)

goblin - smooth 2 (http://www.3dluvr.com/ziemdesign/images/extra/WIP/goblin/smooth2.jpg)

goblin - wire 1 (http://www.3dluvr.com/ziemdesign/images/extra/WIP/goblin/wire.jpg)

goblin - wire 2 (http://www.3dluvr.com/ziemdesign/images/extra/WIP/goblin/wire_face.jpg)

Sorry about the crappy adds and pop-ups.

HenkerChief
07-29-2003, 10:49 AM
looks not very friendly to me ;)
Nice modeling!

Rabid pitbull
07-29-2003, 10:54 AM
definetly looks good. really like the exagerated body shape. Alot of people make the mistake with mosters of creating a awesome head then put it on a totally human body.

:thumbsup:

artista3d
07-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Looking good so far...

I wonder if I will ever be able to do something like that... :shrug:

richpr
07-29-2003, 11:21 AM
He is very muscular everywhere, except on his belly...

He has a great head, though! Evil and sly...

I would put more variation in the shapes of the teeth...

Werner
07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the comments. :beer:

richpr : I will change the teeth as well as the symetrical look once I'm done with the rest of the modeling. Thanks for your crit. :thumbsup:

Joril
07-29-2003, 10:13 PM
If I may share this little observation.
Maybe point the ears a little more backward. They look kinda, flappy. Maybe that's the look your after.
Anyways, he's looking good so far :)

Werner
07-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Joril
If I may share this little observation.
Maybe point the ears a little more backward. They look kinda, flappy. Maybe that's the look your after.
Anyways, he's looking good so far :)

Hey Joril

the ears will be animated with bones. They will definetely point backwards once he's rigged. Thanks for the comment.

Remi
07-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Nice clean mesh....looks really good...any updates?:)

Werner
07-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks Remi! Coming from you...that is a nice compliment. :beer:

I'll post updates soon...work is keeping me way too busy.

Werner
09-05-2003, 10:12 AM
I did not have much time in the last month to work on this, but here is a small update...will try to post more pics soon.

no textures yet.

http://www.pic-vault.com/ziem/PIC003.jpg

Philours
09-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Very nice work !
Can't wait to see it textured.
:thumbsup:

Nemoid
09-05-2003, 05:16 PM
I like the Goblin very much!!
BTW tell us how long did it take to model it?

also I was wondering about the huge amount of polys
you use to get the shape done, because I saw a lot of models with same results with much less polys.

its not a critique, in fact i love your work! :love:

its only a question about modelling and what is currently needed to get a character work properly :

sometimes i see shapes obtained with polys strategically positioned to get the shape done, even in high polis models while in your models the impression is more like points very well positioned in a huge cage of polys.
so, for exampleI was asking myself i could use some low poly very simple cage at the start, and then metaform to get a result similar to yours, then move points , rework some area etc.. does this make sense ?:smile:

Dreamwave
09-05-2003, 06:14 PM
The textured pic is down atm :(

The goblin looks great, the only thing that looks a bit strange to me is that he's so skinny and muscular but he has that fat belly...

It looks a bit weird, but like Rabid pitbull said, it's looks more convincing when it's more exaggerated, less human

SPIDER2544
09-06-2003, 10:56 PM
i think it looks fantastic right now

but dont do anything else to the skin i really like the feel that it has right now

just texture the leather and metal stuff

other than that very nicely modeled good work

grafikdon
09-08-2003, 02:50 AM
IMHO I think the belly gives the goblin a sort of credibility. I would advise you to leave it the way it is because a completely muscle bound goblin isn't exactly my vision of what a goblin should look like. Nice work. Are you gonna animate that, werner?

leigh
09-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Ek hou so baie van dit as dit is, baie goeie werk :D

Awesome character Werner :thumbsup: He has such a devious face! Now add a string for that necklace!

Werner
09-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Philours: thanks...glad you like it :applause:

Nemoid: I usually use far less polys in my models, but in this case I would like to rig this character for animation later. I start out by getting a very basic shape, and adding detail as I go along...were ever I need them.

I'm still a long way from done...took about 8 hours to get the character this far.

Dreamwave: I'm not too worried about the muscle structure of the character because he will be clothed. I like the big belly...makes me think of the Bushmen of the Kalahari...small people who eat huge amounts of food when they get the chance, because they will go without food for 2 t 3 days.

SPIDER2544 : thanks...I'll start with the texturing once all the modeling is done.

grafikdon: I'm with you on this...won't change the belly :)

Leigh: Baie dankie Leigh...eks bly jy hou daarvan. I'm done with the necklace and some other things...will post an update in the next two days.

Facial Deluxe
09-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice one, me likes :thumbsup:

Nemoid
09-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Werner
Philours: thanks...glad you like it :applause:

Nemoid: I usually use far less polys in my models, but in this case I would like to rig this character for animation later. I start out by getting a very basic shape, and adding detail as I go along...were ever I need them.

I'm still a long way from done...took about 8 hours to get the character this far.

Thx for replying Werner! :beer:

I was wondering actually about how a mesh works properly for animation so that even if i have less polys in some region (for example the back of the head ) and other more stable regions.
since a subpatched char can have subdivisions setted 4 or 6 or what you want for smoothing, so that real polys are huge even if you can't deform them manually I think you can rig and animate it even with less polys, or I am wrong?

for example if you set 6 subpatch levels to the cage of your goblin wich is just very detailed you have a huge amount of polis

to explain me better : I see a lot of chars modeled with a few polys in subpatch. are they useful for animation or i have to add polis and polis like you did?

I appreciate your modelling skills and your speedness. 8 hours for this great amount of detail are a few.
do you use box modelling or detail out?

xtrm3d
09-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Nice one, me likes

me too !!!!:applause: :beer:

proton
09-08-2003, 03:52 PM
This is simply amazing! Love teh model and the render....keep us updated on your work....always amazing!

Werner
09-08-2003, 04:15 PM
thanks for the cool comments...I'll work on him some more tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to show updates tomorrow.

Kid-Mesh
09-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Skills :thumbsup:

I like where this is headed, keep us updated.

KM

Werner
09-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Here is the update I promised...not much but it will have to do for now. I can't wait to start with the texturing.

http://www.pic-vault.com/ziem/PIC004.jpg

koroko
09-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Real nice...

But iŽll rework the ear a little, right now its kinda unnatural, everything else works pretty well for me but the ear...

Keep it up!

Dreamwave
09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
wow very cool, the cloths are very nice and they really fit the character...

can't wait to see it textured

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.