PDA

View Full Version : Render/File issue with MR

PenguinChilli
07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey guys,

Heres what's happened - I successfully modeled, textured and rendered an object which rendered fine using Maya Software as my 'Render Using' setting, however, when I switch to Mental Ray and render I get the following message:

// Error: (mental ray) : ...uments/maya/projects/red_wagon/sourceimages/Apanelstripe.tif: file format subtype or version not supported

I know that my texture file is the cause but i thought .tif files were supposed to be most compatible with Mental Ray. I experimented around with file compression settings and it works fine with Targa and TIFF(when compression is set to 'NONE'), however, i need to keep the layers so that i can tweak if needed. What would be the best file format to use? Would it be simpler to use a PSD Network?

Also, I just have a general wondering what format to save Maya scenes in as i'v heard .MA is favoured over .MB. What are the benefits and uses of each?

Thanks in advance

Alex

nfrancisj
07-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Targa's are better..but are a bit bigger. I use targas for everything. Also targas support layers like psds.

Also...

I would use .MA

MA saves and loads from a un-encoded text file. MB doesn't. befits....
Lets say your working on your maya file and it crashes and now everytime you open it gives you a error. if you are using a MB file...your screwed...if your using a MA file you can open your MA in a text document and find the issue thats causing it to error out and fix those lines of code.

PenguinChilli
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the swift response. I think i best start using the .MA for my Maya scenes in that case.

I tried saving as a Targa file again but it's still merging my layers and i'm unable to edit them. In the options the 'Layers' option is greyed out with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark reading 'File must be saved as a copy with this selection'. The Alpha option is the only one i can check and uncheck. I'm using PS CS4 if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for the help so far

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.