PDA

View Full Version : HCR MINI-Challenge #21: QUEEN OF THE ROCKETMEN FAQ

RobertoOrtiz
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Post here any question you may have about our next mini Challenge!
QUEEN OF THE ROCKETMEN

Intervain
07-12-2009, 02:37 AM
I'll kick this one off then - you're saying you'd like to use the models for the FXWars so should the characters be done in t-pose and all ready for the rig?

RobertoOrtiz
07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll kick this one off then - you're saying you'd like to use the models for the FXWars so should the characters be done in t-pose and all ready for the rig?
You can bo both...

The key thing to keep in mind is that you are not under any obligation to make your model available for the FXWARS Challenge.

This means that you can model your character IN POSE. If you feel that you would like to see your character animated (since the animators of, the Animation Sessions Forum are on board) well then do the t-pose and when done, pose the character without a rig.

Telvin_3D
07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Is there any chance for more details of what the follow-up FXWars challenge will involve? I'm looking to get involved there but since this is going to lead directly into that one I think it makes sense to work out some ideas and get a feel for the subject by participating in this challenge first. It would be nice if we had a better idea of what the follow-up challenge will entail so that anything we make for this has some value in the FXWars follow-up.

Even the general shape of what the next challenge will be would be valuable in providing some focus.

RobertoOrtiz
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok here is the deal...

The fxwars cahllenge would involve creating an animation that would look
like a short done in the 30's or 40''s

Check this scene from the rocketter to see what I am talking about:

The Rocketeer - Propaganda Cartoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQwT9z0Jyc)

Telvin_3D
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks. It's good to know the FXWars challenge is not likely to be too specific. I had this vision of making an airship or something for this and then having the FXWars be a Best Jetpack Effect competition. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about doing both.

RobertoOrtiz
07-15-2009, 04:15 AM
To be fair, I just hope we get Jetpack entries..
-R

d8D
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
This sounds interesting. A few questions:

You say a video game character. Does that mean that the model needs to be low poly?

"For this challenge the flow of the geometry is important becuase the character should be ready for an animation rig. " Would this still be a requirement if we were to model the character in pose?

RobertoOrtiz
07-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Mostly medium resolution, since it will be used for animation later.

-R

Songai
07-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I started modeling a character last week with this theme in mind. However, it is a male character, not a "Queen," so I was wondering if I could still enter the contest. If so, I will post the concept art and begin a wip thread today. Thanks

hugopdionisi
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Roberto! I do have some questions:

1) As I asked a friend (not CGmember) to draw a concept for me, do I have to post it in the concept art thread too? Or just in mine?

2) I think I'm going to model a bust. I would like to know if there is any reward for this category like an award or something like that?

Thank you, Roberto Ortiz

RobertoOrtiz
08-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi Roberto! I do have some questions:

1) As I asked a friend (not CGmember) to draw a concept for me, do I have to post it in the concept art thread too? Or just in mine?

2) I think I'm going to model a bust. I would like to know if there is any reward for this category like an award or something like that?

Thank you, Roberto Ortiz

Go ahead...
-R

japetus
09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Roberto, are we going to get some more info on what to do with our models if we want them used in the FX and rigging challenges?

RobertoOrtiz
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Ill post something tonight...

japetus
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Sweet, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it and had time. Lotsa objects in my model... :argh:

RobertoOrtiz
09-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Ok as some of you know I want to continue this challenge at the
FXWars forum. I have spoken with the mods from the Rigging
and Animation forums to run their own challenges with any assets we provide.

So if you guys want to see your model rigged and maybe animated
You may:
1) Form you own team using your own assets
2) And/ Or share you assets*,so others might use them

*So for those who wish to share theit assets
please:

For each of the models you wish to share please do the following:

1) Write a text document with the following text:
""Lighthouse model
(c) 2009 YOUR NAME
This models are not being put on the public domain.
They were specifically created for this mini challenge."

2) Compress and Encrypt the model using a password along with its text file.
3) Upload the model in a web server. If you dont have like savefile.com
4) Create a 200X 200 still of the model

Here is how the process will work
I will list
Small thumbnails (200x200) with each of the models that will be avaialble
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/icon.jpg (http://www.savefile.com/files/2091761)
Model Created by
RobertoOrtiz

The model will be hosted in a 3rs party server like savefile.com.
The password will be provided y the creator AFTER the artist post a WIP thread via PM.

What do you guys think?
-R

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2009, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.