PDA

View Full Version : 3dsee: Software Converts 2D Images To 3D

RobertoOrtiz
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
The program first calculates the Structure-From-Motion for the sequence of uploaded images. This includes a self-calibration of the camera's internal properties such as the focal length.

If this first stage is completed successfully then a dense 3D reconstruction (using a novel GPU-accelerated algorithm) is made of the scene. The output displayed in the '3D Interpretation' viewer is of a very low-quality and textured from just one of the images (to aid download speeds and portability). However, this is generated from a much higher quality textured polygon model. More high-quality outputs will be available in the short-term.

http://3dsee.net/Main.aspx

DuttyFoot
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
wow, that is quite interesting. I think i will try that out when i get home.

cyartist
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Site does not work. Will not let you sign up just gets your email info. Beware.

DuttyFoot
07-12-2009, 12:14 AM
By uploading a set of images to our server we will automatically reconstruct a photo-realistic 3D model for you, returning it as a greyscale bump-map.

i read this on the front of the site, so is it that they convert the image to a model for you. i was under the impression that its a program that you install and run yourself.

uchiharuin
07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
very interesting. i hope they provide a demo version :)

mccg
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Little article about it.
http://www.physorg.com/news166347730.html
the video in the comments explains it very well: http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/research/daedalus/hallucination.php

Ilive
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
ummm.. I don't really get it. Nothing they are turning out that is impressive.

CHRiTTeR
07-14-2009, 02:04 AM
doesnt crazybump already do this?! Or does this thing work better?

BigPixolin
07-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Same here.
What about all that missing information?

Clanger
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Could be useful for making displacement/Normal maps for your texture maps? I've hand made loads of them and it's tedious.

Szos
07-17-2009, 03:13 AM

Same here. I mean making 3D models from photos isn't exactly cutting edge technology, so I am curious how this differs (besides their claim in using the GPU).

I saw this posted on another site like a week ago, and it seems that people are as confused about them now as they were before. Has anyone gotten it to work? And with CYARTIST's post, I am a little hesitant to register.

jeffreyWilson
07-17-2009, 04:50 AM
xyzRGB has had this service for a little while... I worked at Eyetronics as a modeling supervisor and I have to say xyzRGB's tech is AMAZING.

I've gotten a quote and they're asking for under $200 per extraction and unlike 3dsee, the results are amazing...

I wish I could post some of the images Helmut sent me but trust me, look into it.

www.xyzrgb.com

DuttyFoot
07-17-2009, 04:56 AM
I've gotten a quote and they're asking for under $200 per extraction and unlike 3dsee, the results are amazing...

I wish I could post some of the images Helmut sent me but trust me, look into it.

that whole body scanning vid with the chick is pretty sweet :drool:

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2009, 04:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.