PDA

View Full Version : Laptop processor question

Fede
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

I've been looking through the net and the forums but I think I've just managed to confuse myself more.

I'm looking to upgrade my HP 8710w but the current upgrade doesn't really appeal as it's not that much better. For me to upgrade I'd have to look at the Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Processor QX9300 or Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Processor X9100.

My question is, are these processors relatively new or should I hold out for a newer version? I'm asking this as I know the desktop based i7 is out so was wondering if anyone knew how far the laptop counterpart would be.

I use C4D studio, After Effects and ZBrush mainly. Obviously a 64bit OS.

Any advice would be appreciated.

olson
07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
When a mobile Core i7 equivalent is released it probably won't be using the same socket on that laptop if that's what you mean. If you don't already have a workstation you might want to consider keeping your current laptop for mobile needs and building a workstation for tasks that require more performance (and for less money!). Cheers!

imashination
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Theres one i7 laptop, the official battery life is 1 hour 5 minutes, the realistic life is 35 minutes. Personally I'd wait it out a bit ;-)

Fede
07-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I already have a desktop system, just need a laptop as I do a lot of work on the go. So it sounds like I should hold out for a while before considering a purchase...

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2009, 05:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.