PDA

View Full Version : the best rendering settings

muffler
07-10-2009, 10:44 AM
hi
i took a test machine from lenovo d20.it has 2x xeon Nehalem cpu 2.60 , 20 gb ram and quadro fx 580 graphic card configuration

when a rendering the popular scene of classroom it took a lot and only use 2 gb ram capacity,is there any options for allocating ram capacity or any setting for rendering

and other question is i must prefer quadro fx 1500 or fx 580 and is there any setting or driver for using maya or after fx ideally

thx

Libor
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
at first glance to me it seems that simply your maya scene do not need more than those 2 gb allocated. (I have got scene which simply crash when trying to render on regular 2 gigs system however render ok on machine with 12 gigs where it takes like 8 gigs allocated).

Maya and namely MR simply takes everything you got whenever its needed....

BrianD24
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
hi
i took a test machine from lenovo d20.it has 2x xeon Nehalem cpu 2.60 , 20 gb ram and quadro fx 580 graphic card configuration

when a rendering the popular scene of classroom it took a lot and only use 2 gb ram capacity,is there any options for allocating ram capacity or any setting for rendering

and other question is i must prefer quadro fx 1500 or fx 580 and is there any setting or driver for using maya or after fx ideally

thx

Wow, a killer CPU and RAM setup yet a 580 Quadro?

But yeah, it'll take as much as you need. If its only using a certain amount of ram, thats all it needs and theres no real reason to force it to use more memory.

Try using a way more dense scene and seeing the memory usage, if you're concerned about it.

Just go with the latest Quadro driver, really nothing else you need.

rBrady
07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
You can do a -mem flag when you batch render

example: "-mem 18000" if you want to use 18gb of mem)

You can also get to that inside maya by going to the render option box and unchecking "auto memory limit" and manually setting it.

It is true that sometimes mental ray does not use all available memory but its rare. You can give this a try if you want to be sure. Most likely it wont make a difference.

If you want to test out your ram do some fur with big shadows. That usually kills my renders. Renderman can go crazy with ram in order to be efficient with scenes like that.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.