PDA

View Full Version : Fable 2 :: Game Production Focus

PaulHellard
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey there,

Lionhead Studios' Senior Environment Artist Rob Watkins brings us a study of a day in his life at the Fable work desk. It became a pretty nifty tour through the decisions of color, lighting and levels. Click to read, return to comment.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/featureplug_fable2.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5162)

robodesign
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Lovely houses and from what I can tell, the mood.

Congratulations to the artists.

leigh
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh cool! I love Fable II.

Intervain
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
great to see some wonderful environment work! I love those houses :)

TheApostle
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Just FYI: Lionshead has some cool video diaries posted on their website - definitely worth checking out. (*Microsoft Silverlight required*)

JCork
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Awesome environment! This makes me want to start developing my own little world like this.

SciFibrow
07-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Been meaning to pick this game up for a while now. This seals the deal, wow!

Those towns just beg to be explored. :love:

appleapple
07-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Awesome environments...

Don't suppose anyone knows if its coming to PC anytime soon :cry:

woko
07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Paul for running the article and cheers folks for all the kind words.

cheers

Woko

PavelPetrenko
07-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for this article! Fable 2 have amazing style and atmosphere, love this game!

Kanga
07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Been meaning to pick this game up for a while now. This seals the deal, wow!

Those towns just beg to be explored. :love:
Words out of my mouth!
This stuff looks sweet.

Karris
07-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Don't suppose anyone knows if its coming to PC anytime soon :cry:
I was hoping for a PC version too. I enjoyed the first game, but I don't have a console.

AnthonyC
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Awesome write up Paul! This recieved the 2008 Game of the Year, and I'm sure the dynamic environments had alot to do with it! My favorite part of playing these next gen games are marveling at the architectural details of the levels. Sometimes though, the action gets too intense that I bypass all of this amazing artwork.

And we're even blessed with the amazing artist that worked on this! On this thread! I commend you sir!

Ollarin
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Amazing work! The mood, style and atmosphere is just awesome! Hope this comes out for PC too! :D

Emmanuel
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
After all the hype around F2, the ingame doesnt look THAT pretty actually.Sure, its decent, and it contains quite a lot of artwork, and sometimes the lighting in the villages is stunning, but there are colour choices which I dont agree with, and the enemies are most of the time just a mess of polygons, IMHO.The character design is nice, Burtonesque, but that's about it.
My wife loved it, I gave it as a present to her at xmas last year, especially the dog is nice, but the content is really lacking in depth.

Mordin
07-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I have to agree with Emmanuel. The game looks great but has no substance. I love the concept art and the renders i've seen, but as soon as I play it its like another game. Perhaps the third person view does'nt help. I used to be a fan of third person views, seeing your character animated, performing all those moves, but now I'm veering towards first person views. In games like Oblivion you can see more and feel more emmersed.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a fan of Fable 2 and would buy a book on the 'making of'. But the things created here are great. Real character, right down to the dirt. Makes me think of Terry Pratchetts Ankh-Morpork at times. Just not shown off very well in game. Would have given my right arm to work on it (although that might have impeded my work a little.. :) )

planetmirth
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
No question about it - the graphics and environment are stunning.

Unfortunately I only got to see about a quarter of it before the game frooze :sad:

For those planning to buy - please do a google search on something like "Fable II freezes" as there seems a LOT of people who have had similar problems. Which is a real shame because it does look fantastic.

YellowTube
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
great job on the art! im a big fan of the game and also its art. cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.