PDA

View Full Version : 3D effect in layers

miztaburnz
07-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey everyone...

I am shooting a traditional anaglyph 3D short film (red/cyan glasses).
However, I am trying to shoot the majority of it on a green screen
with the intention of using multiple layers to control the amount of depth within each shot. I'm using AE CS3 on a Mac to composite.

I've pre-composed my left and right footages and key'ed them out using Keylight. Now using the 3D Glasses effect in a new comp, I've loaded in the L and R pre-comps into it and it doesn't seem to work. The 3D effect works, but i think the 3D glasses effect doesn't incorporate the alpha channel into its calcualtion (or whatever). It creates the effect with the entire frame and the keyed out portion of the frame is back in black (ie. no transparency).

Now, i've also tried rendering each L and R footage out as an image sequence with the alpha still intact... but alas, that technique gives the same result. I could really use some help on this one! anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller? lol... thanks!

.brat

Mylenium
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't quite follow. By separating the channels, you merely define an imaginary vertical convergence line. Inside the eyes that value is constant. What would scaling with depth achieve that you don't get already, anyway? If a positional difference is small, so will be it's angular result, regardless of the absolute offset being used as the separation value or else this would not work at all with any photographs or filmed footage. Therefore the behavior to me is correct and in fact trying to further manipulate this by turning layers into 3D layers and setting their depth would ruin the effect...

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.