PDA

View Full Version : Outpost attack

master_amante
05-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi. This is a pic I've done. I'm still experimenting as you should have picked up from my other posts and this took me about a half a day. Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

System404
05-11-2002, 05:16 PM
hey good start! there are certain things that bother me though... one your background looks very flat. it looks like a flat backdrop was used, try adding more detail like some mountains going off on the distance..add more depth!! and add more color variance on the background too so the characters don't get lost on the darkness.. another thing add more lights where the explosion is. an explosion like that should really illuminate that area, especially your characters that are being blown away. Add more colors to your laser beams, the solid colors they have look flat, make it interesting, you could add sparks going off where the guns shoot....add more detail especially on the floor, rocks spare tools shrapnel,etc... again good start!!!:D

bealobo
05-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Hello!

Mi oppinion is that it looks pretty well although you can improve it a lot by little working.
As it seems to be in outer space there should be no transition from light to shadow in the objects (due to phisycs theory). I also think that the laser rays are too flat, may be a volumetric ray? So the explosions would illuminate more area.

Great job!
Bealobo
:applause:

Gilgamesh
05-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Is this part of an animation, or is it just a still image? Personally I think that the combustion effect is pretty cheesy. I know it is there, and it is easy, and for an animation it is fine. But if this is a still then you should try playing around with other effects for the explosion, I think you could get better results.
1. Try a really dense sphere with a displacement modifier. Try out a cellular map or a smoke map, animate the intensity of displacement and then add motion blur to streak it. Then just play with the color until you get something you like.
2. Try a particle system, or rather, several particle systems.
3. Rather than using facing particles try spheres.
4. You can also use the straight up video post to do it. Play with glows and lense effects. You can actually make a decent explosion with just those tools.

Anyway, everyone who uses max knows what combustion looks like, and for me it is like seeing a big ugly lense flare. Spend a little time playing with the other tools you have. It is fun to see what you can come up with.

master_amante
05-11-2002, 08:36 PM
I've updated th picture. I've done it before I read the reply of Gilgamesh so I'll have to try the combustion methods out. I've added some sparks out of the guns, another laser and a background. I can't seem to get nicer lasers. What's wrong. Any help? They seem too Flat!

:bounce:

Gilgamesh
05-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Oooh, I just saw one more thing--the gun on the left doesn't really line up with the laser. It is shooting out at a bad angle.

master_amante
05-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Finished finally. I've arranged the angle and explosion, then added some effects with Photoshop i.e. smudging of the flying robots to show motion and the explosion was made better.

Also more fragments were added to show a bigger explosion. The lasers were modified to look better too!

Bounce baby! :bounce: Bounce! :bounce:

Gilgamesh
05-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Sweet. It's so much more dynamic. Nice update! And bouncy! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Synergy
05-13-2002, 07:22 AM
The improvement from first to last is amazing. Realy nice.

I noticed that when using the Max Combustion, you can basically make the size of the combustion half the size of the gizmo, it seems to work nicely. If that makes sense.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.