PDA

View Full Version : armour deformation with bones?

omega-0nd
07-28-2003, 09:54 PM
i haven't experience with bones/deformation etc, but if i model an armour for my orc, when i'll rig it the armour will deform? can i tell lw the armour is a "hard" object and have only to follow the arm for example?

thanks for advices.

DrEvils
07-28-2003, 11:09 PM
yes, the armour will deform. Build it on different layers and parent the different parts of the armour to the bones, that way they still follow the rig but act hard.
hope it helps...

fourd
07-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Couldn't you just use weightmaps as well and leave it under one layer if you want to. Give it it's own bone as well.

kretin
07-28-2003, 11:47 PM
If you give part of an object, like a piece of armor, 100% weight, and have a single bone affecting that weight, you'll be effectively telling LW that it's solid/hard.

As Fourd suggested, create a child bone of the arm bone for each piece of armor on the arm. The tell each of the "armor" bones to use the weightmap for the appropriate piece of armor. The armor will then move with the arm, but you also have full control over each piece of armor.

The benefit to doing it this way, as opposed to parenting to bones, is less objects to deal with, as well as being able to vary the weight of some parts of the armor, for example you can have a piece of leather or cloth joining two pieces of armor that will deform while the solid part of the armor doesn't deform.

omega-0nd
07-29-2003, 06:26 AM
thanks for replies guys, hope to finish armour soon to try this

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.