PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft First Contact

FreespaceFilms
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Greetings everyone!

Here's a cinematic I have done recently for the Starcraft Legacy (http://www.sclegacy.com) ( an award winning officially authorized fan site ). The voice actor for Tassadar is Phillip Sacramento (http://www.aspects-of-voice.net).

Without further ado, this is StarCraft First Contact. It's a prequel cinematic to StarCraft ( a well known game with fantastic story and gameplay ), and takes place four days before its single player campaign. If you're a versed StarCraft fan, I hope you don't mind the fierce beating the Terrans receive, and if you're not a StarCraft fan it should still be entertaining to watch.

HD Youtube Stream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s06Ua_EIQyo&fmt=22)

Editorial and background info about the cinematic (http://sclegacy.com/editorials/34-general/421-starcraft-first-contact)

Enjoy! Comments are most welcome, of course.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/Freespace87/03_marinelight0111.jpg

ragdoll
07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
cool! but i never knew carriers had those super blaster watchamacallits...and correct me if i'm wrong but aren't arbiters supposed to make everything invisible within a radius...? no need to be 100% accurate about it tho, but little details like that can go a long way... :D still...gj with this! now make a diablo version... :D jk

-rj

FreespaceFilms
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
cool! but i never knew carriers had those super blaster watchamacallits...and correct me if i'm wrong but aren't arbiters supposed to make everything invisible within a radius...? no need to be 100% accurate about it tho, but little details like that can go a long way... :D still...gj with this! now make a diablo version... :D jk

-rj
Hey ragdoll!
Well there are Supercarriers in the StarCraft lore, that have beam weaponry installed, along with the planet crackers. The Gantrithor, Tassadar's personal Carrier, is known to have single handedly defeated a squadron of Battlecruisers as well. So dealing with three was barely a challenge.

Now, the Arbiter cloaks units around it, yes. But this is a controlled ability, and can be shut down at any time. It even does this in one of the original Starcraft cinematics. Due to balance reasons, you can't do this in-game, as well as the Carriers not having superbeams.

Thanks for watching! I can't wait for SC2, and Diablo 3 either. Cool to find a fellow fan. :beer:

Pyke
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I was actually about to post this in General Discussions. :D

I love the short. Star Craft is 7 kinds of awesome, any anything SC related gets approval in my book!

One comment I have tho, is that I wish the space scenes had as much 'weight' as the scenes on the planet. I know its a cliche nowadays to add in shakey cam in space (BSG, Firefly...hell, I think even Star Wars had some), but it really does add 'heaviness' to something that difficult to show scale against.

I hope that you continue to do more shorts in the SC universe!

FreespaceFilms
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Pyke: Thanks for the comments! Yeah StarCraft is awesome and I'm definetely doing more cinematics from the SC universe. I'll see about capturing more weight in space, I have no problem with shakey camera so that should be fine. BSG was a great inspiration for space scenes, but so were the original SC cinematics.

youthCrisis
07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi there!

very nice cinematic-have seen it before but forgot to reply:) - very good quality for a fanart-lots of games I played dont have such quality animations :)

FreespaceFilms
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
youthCrisis: Hey thanks for commenting, I'm very happy you liked the cinematic. My best hope is to improve further and do more of these in the future. :thumbsup:

ziggwies
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Impressive work Cristian.

A minor comment. At 1:55 you see the "marine". In terms of animation it felt a bit stiff and also the gun felt quite light. Just my personal opinion, I might be wrong.

Also waiting for SC2. Blizzard really seems to be taking their time.

By the way great sound effects.

FreespaceFilms
11-16-2009, 12:10 AM
ziggwies: Thank you for the comments. I'm still trying to get weight into my animation. Hopefully my next cinematic will have characters acting a lot better. :arteest: As for SC2, it's been delayed again, but I think it's better to have a perfect game later, than an unfinished one sooner.

simyevil2010
11-16-2009, 09:06 AM
very very nice work i like it , the textures & detalis is very good

good luck 4 ever :thumbsup:

djmaya3d
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Your effect for the recall was spot on goosebumps giving.

FreespaceFilms
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
simyevil: Thank you! They'll be even better next time. :thumbsup:

djmaya3d: I stared at the recall effect ingame dozens of times, before figuring out a way to translate that into CG. I'm very glad it worked out and "touched" you. :beer:

TerranCmdr
11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Really exciting! The cinematic was epic, really well done. Right up there near Blizzard's standards.

FreespaceFilms
11-21-2009, 03:41 PM
TerranCmdr: I think it could stand along the StarCraft I cinematics, but there's a world of pain until I even come close to what the Blizz team is doing now. Thanks for the vote of confidence! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2009, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.