PDA

View Full Version : Character Animations

NiPeR
07-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I've been testing 3D softwares for a quite long time now and I'm really tired of using demo versions and I want to buy a student/educational version, because I'm a student.

I have been testing Lightwave 3D and Cinema 4D and I like both of the programs a lot. I have been testing mostly the modeler in Lightwave 3D and animating in Cinema 4D.

I will learn how to create character animations and want a good program for that.

Cinema 4D has a very great Soft IK system but I want to know if Lightwave has Soft IK system or something similiar.

If you know any tutorial where I can test Soft IK in Lightwave, or any tutorial on how to animate a character, only so I can compare the both programs.

If Lightwave 3D has better character animation tools, I pretty sure that I'm going to buy it, but I want to see which is best first.

Nonproductive
07-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by NiPeR

Cinema 4D has a very great Soft IK system but I want to know if Lightwave has Soft IK system or something similiar.

I believe that at present - in LW 7.5 - soft IK like you are referring to is sort of a function of motion designer or a "follower" like plugin. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

However, there was a sneak peek at LW 8 that showed the kind of functionality by right clicking a bone. I didn't see much more then that in the teaser - so I am making a lot of assumptions.

I've toyed with the C4D Soft IK stuff in the demo and it is a lot of fun - I just ordered my upgrade to LW 8 (because I saw the DFX+ offer was back on the front page at newtek) and am keeping my fingers crossed that I interpreted the teaser video correctly.

The teaser link:
http://www.learnlightwave.com/ik_preview.mov

NiPeR
07-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks!

Another question:
-If I want to buy a student version, do I have to be a student in a 3D school or can I be a student in any school?

Does any one know a tutorial for motion designer, where I can see how to animate a character?

Maxx
07-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Motion Designer is more of a soft-body dynamics package with some hard-body capabilities. Not much in the way of usefultuts on the web, but there are some (draping cloth over a ball, etc.) at NewTek's site. Or, run a search at flay for tuts. Also, search this board for a full tut by MikeRB on Motion Designer.

I don't do much character animation, so I can't really comment on the soft IK aspect, but I can say that it seems that NewTek has concentrated heavily on the CA portions of LightWave for the upcoming 8 release. There is also (I think) tutorials on FK-IK blending in Layout. I can't remember exactly where right now - sorry about that. Run a search on this board, I'm fairly certain I found the link here to begin with. Keep your eyes peeled, as tonight and tomorrow are the official unveilings of most of the new features - the boards are bound to be buzzing.

As for buying the student version, I have no idea how that works. Sorry. :shrug:

3DDave
07-29-2003, 12:17 AM
have you looked at Kaydara's Motion Builder for character animation. I think the $100 special ends 7/31/03. Motion Builder is a great addition to Lightwave.

www.kaydara.com

roguenroll
07-29-2003, 12:35 AM
yep get it quick, can't wait to pre-reg, Ver. 5, Aug .1

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 12:37 AM
The thing is that I don't want to buy any additional programs. My economy isn't that good atm. I'm glad if can save enough to the program.;)

kretin
07-29-2003, 12:40 AM
I can't speak for C4D, but Lightwave is great for character animation, and by all reports the character animation capabilities will be significantly enhanced with version 8. Make sure you keep an eye on Siggraph for more information about what's coming.

For some examples of character animation done in Lightwave, check out my portfolio, http://www.zerogravity.com.au/jonny

For tutorials check here, http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Triple G
07-29-2003, 12:43 AM
I would definitely wait until everyone lays all their cards on the table at Siggraph before making my decision, if I were you.

3DDave
07-29-2003, 12:49 AM
You can still register the "Free" version from Digit or 3Dworld magazine. Hurry up though!

Originally posted by NiPeR
The thing is that I don't want to buy any additional programs. My economy isn't that good atm. I'm glad if can save enough to the program.;)

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all the help.

I'm definately gonna wait until they show all the new features.

kretin: Did you use Motion Builder when you created these movies?

kretin
07-29-2003, 04:26 AM
No dude, it's all Lightwave

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 05:19 AM
WOW!

That was awesome work!

Especially the bird.

Miyazaki
07-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Yes, it`s absolutely great, but that`s because Kretin has surpassing talent :thumbsup:

Would be interesting to know if the new dynamic bone features are something similar to C4D soft IK.

NiPeR
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I saw some of the new character animation features in LW8.

WOW!

These looks really good. Much better than Cinema4D's Soft IK system.

timsvw
07-29-2003, 10:25 PM
I like animating in Lightwave almoast as much as in Maya and with the new updates that are comming for Lightwave(the ones that I have seen) I think it will be on par.

-Tim

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.