PDA

View Full Version : Disney to co-produce Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2

tjnyc
07-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Article from Animenation.com

Jagged Team has noticed the interesting fact that Disney is listed as a co-producer of the upcoming movie Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2 on the film's official Staff Page. The top line lists Production I.G., Tokuma Shoten, Nippon Television, Dentsu, Disney, Toho, and Mitsubishi as the film's major backers.

Goon
07-28-2003, 08:12 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This cannot be allowed to happen:cry:

oh.... hehe

pomru
07-28-2003, 08:35 PM
*ahem* :rolleyes:

You need to go to the official page for Innocence: Ghost in the Shell (http://www.productionig.com/innocence.php), click on the cast tab, and read the whole page for yourself instead of jumping to conclusions made by another observer...

It's true that Disney is mentioned as one of the major backers of the movie, but at the bottom of the page, it says "PRODUCED BY: Production I.G" and "CO-PRODUCED BY: STUDIO GHIBLI" Disney distributes Studio Ghibli's films as part of a business agreement: Studio Ghibli makes movies and Disney puts the movies in theaters and home video all over the world. I think that it's the same deal for the Ghost in the Shell sequel (Production I.G and Studio Ghibli will make it, and Disney will put it in theaters and on home video), so no need to panic...

Dargon
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
phew. That was a scary one.

skello
07-29-2003, 01:13 AM
there's still cause for panic....If disney is involved all R rated material may most likely be edited out of the home video released

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

The Cross
07-29-2003, 01:43 AM
I feel it's come to the point where Disney cares less weather or not their name is damned in the name of bloody movies. Spirited Away went through the same thing Ghost in the Shell is heading towards. And Spirited Away did have a mild blood content in one scene that i can recall.

As for Ghost in the Shell........This could be the long awaited ruckus Disney will recieve for associating themselves with a more matured entertainment. Mild as Pirates of the Caribean was, there was still flesh getting peirced with steel.

Nemoid
07-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Can't believe it !
It's my dream come true!!!! :drool: :drool:

I alway hated the Disney's philosophy of cartoons being only for assumed stupid kids shown expecially in latest years : think Walt Disney itself philosophy was quite different at the beginning.

kids are not stupid at all,an I think they need more deepness in cartoons.

i love contamination between different conceptions. art is contamination , mixing, creating, risk.

think this will bring a revolution in the animation world in the future. :love:

mattregnier
07-29-2003, 02:01 PM
In light of the current disney production shifts then I imagine that this will be an all '3D CG' flick :D cause i mean they could never pull off a GiTS in 2d with 3d elements...it just wouldn't sell ;)

eliseu gouveia
07-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Disney behind Ghost in the Shell?
Keeewl!
- First and foremost, Motoko Kusanagi needs a sidekick, preferrably a talking furry pet one to add some much needed comic relief.
- I think there´s too much blood in Ghost in The Shell too, Off with that. If a villain is to die, throw him off a cliff like usually, I´ll have none of that "organs burst as the spinal cord is exposed" nonsense!
- Which bring us to Singing! In the midle of those hideous combats against assault mechas, I think there should be an occasional break to appease the terrified children with a much heartfelt musical moment, the more the merrier.
- For the final touch, I think Motoko should finally kiss Bateau as they both enter Megatech´s facilities to have their brains transplanted to their former human bodies- this cyborg thing is just immoral-.
- And smile, dammit; why on earth is this film has to be so gloomy? Throw in lots of happy people and singing birds in the background and this will be just peachy!:cool: :cool: :cool:

schmu_20mol
07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
- I think there´s too much blood in Ghost in The Shell too, Off with that. If a villain is to die, throw him off a cliff like usually, I´ll have none of that "organs burst as the spinal cord is exposed" nonsense!

mmhhh...why not? i just took a look at the original comic again and there's plenty of it and i don't think it looses its' attraction because of this...but anyway for everyone what he likes to taste would be nice :twisted: ......

hope this'll become a good film

timshim
07-29-2003, 04:24 PM
i'm sure eliseu was just being sarcastic ... :D

Nemoid
07-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Of course producing doesn't mean creating.

Look to Touchstone Pictures movies.. :P

Touchstone Pictures is owned by Disney Company.

eliseu gouveia
07-29-2003, 05:37 PM
I tellya, swear to God sarcasm is an artform long lost... :rolleyes: :cool:

Blanc
07-29-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm excited that IG is doing GiTs, because their last 2 movies (Jin Roh and Blood) seriously rocked.
If you've seen either of those two films, you wouldn't be worried about Disney's potential influence.

schmu_20mol
07-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I tellya, swear to God sarcasm is an artform long lost... :rolleyes: :cool:

sorry but everytime i used sarcasm or seen it here it got misunderstood and therfor i usually expect that there's no sarcasm in here.... ;)

slaughters
07-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Disney behind Ghost in the Shell?
Keeewl!
- First and foremost, Motoko Kusanagi needs a sidekick, preferrably a talking furry pet one to add some much needed comic relief... I want singing ! Lots of singing ! People, furry animals, and even inanimate objects (preferably singing songs written by Elton John just for the movie.)

eliseu gouveia
07-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Well, I was hoping for Celine Dion myself....:cool:

tjnyc
07-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Blanc
I'm excited that IG is doing GiTs, because their last 2 movies (Jin Roh and Blood) seriously rocked.
If you've seen either of those two films, you wouldn't be worried about Disney's potential influence.

Yeah, Jin Roh was something to see. Blood, only really did it for me when I read the novel, manga and video game after the anime. The story is a pretty interesting, I wish they continued with the story in anime format though. Anyone know what their relatonship was with Digital Domain in regard to the making of Blood?

Anyway, the one bomb so far for me has been GiTS: Stand Alone Complex from IG. The animation is very good, but the series is just so boring. Little action with alot of talking, it remains me of the Patlabor TV Series, but without the humor, but To be fair I only saw the first 8 ep. I hope it gets better though.

aurora
07-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey maybe we could have Mrs. Potts in there or maybe a relative as the side kick kicking some mech butt!!!!

beatabix
07-30-2003, 02:39 PM
eliseu: i'm sure you noticed that schmu is from germany.

now, i wouldn't usually suggest any kind of national stereotypes, but ... well ... you know, the sense of humour thing :)

anyway, i'm off before someone tries to lynch me.
later
BEAT

heavyness
07-31-2003, 02:43 AM
i've seen this first chunks of GiTS: Stand Alone Complex and i like it more then the movie. i think it's really well done and looking forward to the movies [i think they have 2 planned and 38 episodes]. and i love The Laughing Man character, adds alot to the series.

on the other hand, i hope disney doesn't censor it in any way. but i do hope they get the same people who translated Spirited Away to translate GiTS.

Icestar
07-31-2003, 03:51 AM
F%$CKING HELL!, isn't it about time disney wakes up to the fact that the 1950's is way over and kids these days are more than ever aware that the world isn't a perfect place. No wonder their studios keep spiralling down. It's nice and all to hang on to the [founding]boss's ethics but what they dont realise is unless they evolve with the times then they'll go extinct. That said I hate the fact that disney is associated with any high profile animation these days like spirited away, or even pixar's work because it gives the impression that they had a hand in there to help make it. Actually if it wasn't for pixar may be the disney ship would have sunk a while back. Let's hope that pixar is really out to find a new distributor. Down with disney!:shame:

schmu_20mol
07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by beatabix
anyway, i'm off before someone tries to lynch me.

:twisted: hehe

The Cross
07-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Icestar
F%$CKING HELL!, isn't it about time disney wakes up to the fact that the 1950's is way over and kids these days are more than ever aware that the world isn't a perfect place. No wonder their studios keep spiralling down. It's nice and all to hang on to the [founding]boss's ethics but what they dont realise is unless they evolve with the times then they'll go extinct. That said I hate the fact that disney is associated with any high profile animation these days like spirited away, or even pixar's work because it gives the impression that they had a hand in there to help make it. Actually if it wasn't for pixar may be the disney ship would have sunk a while back. Let's hope that pixar is really out to find a new distributor. Down with disney!:shame:

I agree with you on the most part IceStar. But don't forget that Disney is an awsome power in the world of animation. And they have paved the way to Animated movies. Weather it's you're taste in art or not, their prime animation projects are more cleaverly animated in terms of 2D animation. Not to mention that they are richer than every animation company combimed. They can easily peice together outstanding tallent and make a picture that would make your brain explode.

I think Disney chooses to stay soft because Walt himself must have requested that. Of coarse there are loop holes in every agrement so the current Disney representatives would co-prouduce more matured animated presentations. Ghost in the Shell is a huge leap in this theory, and the first to cross the line.

The good thing about Disney producing japanese Animation is that it puts it in our theatres so we can enjoy them on the big screen. No one else would do it. So i would consider this a very generous act, on Disney's behalf. It's not like they need to do it. And when the film get's it's award, It goes to the makers of the film.

JooS-10
08-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Ghost in the Shell was hands down one of thee most amazing animes I have ever seen. The animation was awesome, the story was INCREDIBLE, plus it had a whole assotment of kik-a$$ technology (thermal optic coats, holograms ..ect). Not to mention it revolves around cyborgs and hackers.... I dont think this film will ever stop inspiring me, I just hope this GITS-2 can live up to the first. I have HUGE expectations.

Anyone heard any more news on this project, release date ect????

pomru
08-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by JooS-10
Anyone heard any more news on this project, release date ect????
The release date I saw for Innocence: Ghost in the Shell is "Spring of 2004 in Japan." No word yet about international release dates. From the material on the movie's official page (http://www.productionig.com/innocence.php), the plot centers around Batou, Motoko's partner from the first Ghost in the Shell movie.

I just saw a minute-long clip from Innocence that's been playing in Japanese movie theaters and on TV, and if the clip is any indication, the movie will rock! :buttrock: The action is very un-Disney. Like I said before, no need to panic...

The Cross
08-01-2003, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the insight Pomru, Batou is my favourite character in that series, so it's good to hear that the story may be aimed at him. It's like he loves what he does too much, and at the same time he has a sence of a sluggish performance whenever he has something important to do then he get's all pissy about it. He brings the jokes for every mission, don't you all find.

JooS-10
08-01-2003, 04:41 AM
Hey thanks alot Pomru for the new info. Do you know if this clip is available online somewhere for download? I would love to see it. :drool:

heavyness
08-01-2003, 06:19 PM
"I just hope this GITS-2 can live up to the first."

go to a comic store or someone who deals with imports and you can buy the GiTS:Stand Alone Complex dvds now [of course they are imports and have to be watched w/ subtitles]. but this is how the movies are going to be, artwise. i think they are doing the same thing Cowboy Bebop did and have the movie[s] tie in with the series. and i do believe there are two movies in the works for GiTS. so don't look at it like a GiTS2.

production house - http://www.production-ig.com/

GiTS:Innocence page - http://www.productionig.com/innocence.php

pomru
08-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JooS-10
Hey thanks alot Pomru for the new info. Do you know if this clip is available online somewhere for download? I would love to see it. :drool:
http://www.sa.sakura.ne.jp/~straydog/movie/innocence_promo.zip (16.07 MB file)

Nemoid
08-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by pomru
The release date I saw for Innocence: Ghost in the Shell is "Spring of 2004 in Japan." No word yet about international release dates.

Just can't wait to see this movie!!:drool:
and thanks for the great links

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Holy damn! :D Ghibli doing GitS 2?? Yeah man.. I wanna see Miyazaki do cyberpunk!

Wooo

Cheers

The Cross
08-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by pomru
http://www.sa.sakura.ne.jp/~straydog/movie/innocence_promo.zip (16.07 MB file)

I searched and searched the link and i never seen the dwonload anywhere. I even used a translator and still no luck.

I did notice that the japanese lable the series in japanese text.

Which translates into the title "Attack Shell Riot Sqaud".

urgaffel
08-07-2003, 05:05 AM
I posted a video of the trailer currently showing ni the movietheaters here: Click meh! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=79324) Low quality, and it's not the full trailer, buuut... Better than nothing?

db5007
08-07-2003, 07:19 AM
Holy damn! Ghibli doing GitS 2?? Yeah man.. I wanna see Miyazaki do cyberpunk!

A little clarification:

Actually Ghibli isn't making the film, it's being "co-produced" with Ghibli. They are taking more of a marketing role on the film. Which is why there are trailers in the theatres now.

Production I.G in Tokyo will be handling the animation production of the film(same as the first film).

Anywhich way, its going to be great~!

RobertoOrtiz
08-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Have you guys seen this one?

http://kokaku.kidotai.free.fr/share/Innocence-Promo.mpg

-R

The Cross
08-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Holy Shit !!!...That's fekkin beautiful !!!!!......Damnit Roberto, how do you always find these things !!!!?

igorstshirts
08-08-2003, 03:51 AM
Way fat... Thanks Roberto!

db5007
08-08-2003, 04:26 AM
That promo clip on the web is only partial...their is a more complete trailer which is playing in theatres now in Japan.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.