PDA

View Full Version : 3d scene conversion+ bone animation nightmare!

Simon
07-28-2003, 07:12 PM
I need to send a scene that has a simple game character model. He is animated using a simple humanoid skeleton.

I reaaaaaly need to convert it to a format that can be opened in 3ds max 5. I have deep exploration but I'm still stumped. :cry:

Have any of you got any links to lws -> max converters, or any other readable formats within max?

Im stumped and I have deadlines looming!!!!!

:scream:

Cheers in advance

Simo

Simon
07-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Can I use fbx?

Triple G
07-28-2003, 08:23 PM
FBX might work for you. Here's (http://www.kaydara.com/products/fbx/index.php?filename=compat) a compatibility chart which shows what features and types of data are supported between software platforms.

If you don't need to edit the animation in Max, and depending on how many frames of animation you're dealing with, you may be able to freeze the transformations on the character for each frame, and save them off as a series of objects, which could then be imported sequentially into Max. Obviously not an ideal solution for all situations, but it's a thought. :shrug:

Simon
07-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I think I may end up having to. The fbx doesnt support bones apparently. :scream:

Its ok for the 6 frame walk cycles. It'll be a problem when we start making 30 frame reload animation for the characters.

si

duderender
07-28-2003, 10:16 PM
www.polytrans.com by okino may solve your problem.

i have it, but I am not sure if it will open max 5 files.

Triple G
07-28-2003, 10:50 PM
With most converters, and I believe Polytrans is included in this area, a copy of Max needs to be installed on your machine in order to translate to/from the .max file format. :hmm:

Simon
07-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Darn, i got max installed and deep exploration on another pc.

I converted.. all was looking good.. sent it to my client...

a mangled mess of polygons.

:eek:

duderender
07-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Triple G,

No need for Max, Polytrans is standalone. However Polytrans will integrate with Max if you wish it to.

Triple G
07-29-2003, 03:54 AM
Duderender,

Are you sure? The following is a quote from Okino's website:

You must own a copy of 3D Studio MAX in order to read or write .max format. PolyTrans-for-MAX is a special plug-in system that allows MAX users to read/write all of the Okino 3D file formats. If you do not own a copy of 3DS MAX then you can receive files from MAX users via the .3ds file format.

duderender
07-29-2003, 04:09 AM
:blush:
ok, you got me. I loaded polytrans this evening and I am caught!! yack!

i was doing a bunch of stuff a while ago but it was exporting 3ds files since I was testing between Max and trueSpace.

Thanks for the point out Triple-G.

Triple G
07-29-2003, 04:26 AM
That's ok...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

LFGabel
07-29-2003, 04:32 AM
Motionbuilder does indeed export bone information.

Triple G
07-29-2003, 05:19 AM
True, but not between all formats. According to the chart on their site, it looks to me like bone animation is not included in the conversion when going from LW to Max.

*edit* Actually, Motionbuilder's not even part of the equation here. You would be exporting from Lightwave as .fbx, which would then be directly imported into Max using the .fbx importer.

duderender
07-29-2003, 06:07 AM
About the only thing I'm disappointed in with LW is the lack of a native importer for stl (stereolithography) and iges files.

I was using Max, and I really enjoyed that about Max. The stl import with Max was great because it would treat each volume in the stl as an element.

Please tell me if something has changed with LW. Bear in mind I'm still on 5.6 :cry:

LFGabel
07-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Well Triple-G, if that's true, then that sucks... Then again, has anyone tried it to make sure?

Triple G
07-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Duderender, I think somebody around here was talking about a stl importer for Lightwave not too long ago. Search for a thread about Solid Works or Solid Thinking...can't remember exactly.

Simon
07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Its supprising that none has tried to cash in on this massive hole in the market.

If someone made what deep exploration should have been, I think every production house and freelancer would want a copy. All the problems I've suffered as a freelancer and working in a company have been from trying to integrate with 3d studio max and cinema 4d. I'd spend an hour on a model and then spend another hour asking the max guys what formats that they can use.

Are there any plugins for lightwave to allow more export options?

Simon
07-29-2003, 06:07 PM
I wonder what lw 8 has to offer?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.