PDA

View Full Version : Normalize surfaceLuminance input

joie
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi there guys;

Is there a way to normalize the input of a surfaceLuminance node?.

I want to use it with physicalSky and I need to divide the surfaceLuminance input by 300 or so to get a usable range...

So I guess there must be a way to normalize the input instead of try and error to get the desirable range.

Thank you in advance.

Ironhalo
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
if you know a minimum and maximum range you could try a setRange node.

joie
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I know that and is the method I'm using right know, to get the highest number I use the trial and error method.

But I'd like to know if there is more elegant solution..., just put a node or a chain of nodes to get the input normalize no matter the highest number.

el diablo
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
condition node

joie
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Mmm, condition node?, how can I use that for my purposes?, I still don't have the highest number in order to compute something..., please enlight me :)

el diablo
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I use the conditionNode to clamp values but I guess that was not what you wanted. If you need the highest color value per channel use an arrayMapperNode per channel.

djx
07-10-2009, 02:35 AM
joie: I use a setRange and clamp (probably similar to what you are already doing). If I understand correctly you want a way to determin the maximum luminance for a given location in your scene at a given frame, and you will use that value to nomalize the luminance. Its kind of like a photographer would use a light meter to determin the exposure of his/her shot.

The only way I can think of is to render to float with no exposure node and then use something like aftereffects to see how bright a particular pixel is. And then figure out how that relates back to maya numbers.

-- David

joie
07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Thank you, but that method is the same as my trial and error method ;)

I've found that the highest number with physical sky (with .318 power for real life accuracy) is actually somewhat near 320 (but not 318, that's quite funny isn't it?).

So I guess I can stick to that for now :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.