PDA

View Full Version : Projecting 2D animation to Geometry

curkas
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Hi, I'm in the middle of developing an animation for my final year coursework and my goal is to create 3d characters while their faces are animated in 2d and composited on to the geometry in After Effects. Would anyone have any idea how I could go about this?

My initial thoughts are that I would need to export a diffuse pass with facial UVs highlighted as different colours and then track on the animation some how. Would anyone have any clue how to track something like this though? After Effects seems a little limited when it comes to tracking like that.

Any help would be great thanks!

Aneks
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
why not use the 2d animation as a texture and apply it in your 3d app? it will save you a tremendous ammount of work.

m|3
07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
... Exactly as Aneks said above... I second that.

curkas
07-09-2009, 03:18 AM
why not use the 2d animation as a texture and apply it in your 3d app? it will save you a tremendous ammount of work.

Thanks. Yeah. I guess that had been one of my plans but I guess I was looking make the 2d animation play off the timing of the 3d action. I think I'll just have to be fairly exact in my working out the timing for everything.

Thanks a lot guys!

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2009, 03:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.