PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon

iKaleb
07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
When I first decided I wanted to be an animator, I had huge dreams. Pixar, DreamWorks, Blizzard, etc. I wanted to do anything animation wise, but I needed a school to help. The first school that popped into mind was The Art Institute. After getting about 3/4 of the way through the process of becoming a student, I realized something. I didn't want to be $86,000+ in debt after I get out of college. Granted, it has to happen one way or another, but I was pretty positive there were other schools out there, cheaper too. So I checked out Gnomon.

I'm really interested in this school and want to take its online courses. Reason for this is that I live in Indiana and don't really want to move to Cali just for school. But I guess what I really want to know is this:

I know nothing right now, about 3D animation. I want to learn so badly. I never could draw and never got into painting. But I want to try. I took general 3D art classes in high school (sculpture, ceramics, computer graphics, etc.) Is Gnomon the place to start? And if not, then just where do I start and with what programs and/or materials?

taxguy
07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
My daughter did have some art/design training. Thus,she didn't go in with no training as yourself. Here is what they told my daughter.

First, she needs to develop strong life drawing skills. They suggested that these skills can be developed as part of the entertainment design, one-year program or she can take courses at her local junior college. However, they did recommend to take some more life drawing.

Secondly, she then was told to take the advanced course in Maya, since all of their courses are based on Maya.

Finally , they suggested that she take the advanced computer graphics, twenty one month program. It will give a broad educational swath for computer graphics. If she wants solely character animation, she could get it at Gnomon as part of the program or she could spend another 17 months in Animation Mentor.. In Addition, they suggested that she use all of the workshops and take advantage of the free video library available to students.

This is NOT necessarily the same for you. It is just what my daughter was told. If , for example, you have some strong life drawing stuff in your portfolio, you can skip suggestion number one.

SanjayChand
07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
When I first decided I wanted to be an animator, I had huge dreams. Pixar, DreamWorks, Blizzard, etc. I wanted to do anything animation wise, but I needed a school to help. The first school that popped into mind was The Art Institute. After getting about 3/4 of the way through the process of becoming a student, I realized something. I didn't want to be $86,000+ in debt after I get out of college. Granted, it has to happen one way or another, but I was pretty positive there were other schools out there, cheaper too. So I checked out Gnomon.

I'm really interested in this school and want to take its online courses. Reason for this is that I live in Indiana and don't really want to move to Cali just for school. But I guess what I really want to know is this:

I know nothing right now, about 3D animation. I want to learn so badly. I never could draw and never got into painting. But I want to try. I took general 3D art classes in high school (sculpture, ceramics, computer graphics, etc.) Is Gnomon the place to start? And if not, then just where do I start and with what programs and/or materials?

- Before going to Gnomon or getting serious about 3D you need to take some traditional art classes such as figure drawing, painting, and sculpture. Atleast a 1 years worth. You can take them at a local community college (as pointed out by taxguy). I would also recommend you take an intor to Maya class.

- You should probably consider moving to California. You stated you want to work Pixar, Dreamworks, or Blizzard, all of which are in California (as are many other studios). Ofcourse you could take online classes only, but its not the same as being at the school and getting live 1-on-1 interaction.

Hope that helped.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.