PDA

View Full Version : 800 TFLOP real-time ray tracing GPU unveiled, not for gamers

eikonoklastes
07-07-2009, 07:08 AM
A Japanese company has announced an ambitious new system that uses what is essentially a complex, 45nm ray-tracing GPU to accelerate real-time ray traced rendering. The target market is automotive design, and, unfortunately for any gamers who might fantasize about one day using for games, it's likely to stay confined to that niched forever.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/07/800-tflop-real-time-ray-tracing-gpu-unveiled-not-for-gamers.ars

FrancoisvdW
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Interesting, but its an ASIC for vehicle design and Toyota's in-house software, and only accelerates for bezier surfaces, not poly's... We'll never see it developed for even CG en general, nevermind games!
My hopes are still on Caustic :love:

aglick
07-09-2009, 12:03 AM
meh...

Caustic's approach seems much more interesting and flexible.

I'm suspect that the "realtime" performance of this tech will fall down when working with anything more than a couple of ray bounces.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DrBalthar
07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
meh...

Caustic's approach seems much more interesting and flexible.

I'm suspect that the "realtime" performance of this tech will fall down when working with anything more than a couple of ray bounces.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think people here don't understand, that these are two seperate things, this is basically a super computer specificly designed for Toyota Motors to do a particular job faster, cheaper than any common generic technology out there. And it will do the job pretty well it looks. They're looking for a real light simulator (something beyond even Maxwell) not a pseudo-rendering box.

FrancoisvdW
07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Yes, they are different, but the goal is the same, RealTimeRayTracing. Its ASIC nature does enable more specialized application and software, so light-simulation would be more realistic than our generic renderers. My comment was simply that I don't care for it, ground-breaking as it may seem.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.