PDA

View Full Version : non design video cards in Maya

Orangeaugustus
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm curious to know what the disadvantages would be from using a non-design specific 3D card in Maya. Something relatively high-end like geforce 9800gtx or a radeon hd 4890.
I'm currently using a firegl x2 128mb. If the difference isn't substantial I see no reason to spend the extra money. Most of my work will involve lighting and modeling.

Thanks,
~mark

olson
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Some features of Maya simply won't work without a workstation graphics card. For some its never an issue and for others its a show stopper. See the Maya hardware requirements on the Autodesk site, specifically the graphics section. All sculpting and painting tools will be more or less broken. Some lighting and shadow features in the view won't work, sometimes polygons won't be displayed in the correct depth order, other random stuff like ramps breaking in the interface.

If its for hobby or academics out of your own pocket you'll probably be fine with a gaming card, if its for production its a gamble to go with a gaming card. I'm sure after my post somebody will piss and moan about how expensive workstation cards are and say there's no difference and you should buy a gaming card but it comes down to what specific features of Maya you use as to what will and won't work. Cheers!

anevsky
07-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Some features of Maya simply won't work without a workstation graphics card. For some its never an issue and for others its a show stopper. See the Maya hardware requirements on the Autodesk site, specifically the graphics section. All sculpting and painting tools will be more or less broken. Some lighting and shadow features in the view won't work, sometimes polygons won't be displayed in the correct depth order, other random stuff like ramps breaking in the interface.

If its for hobby or academics out of your own pocket you'll probably be fine with a gaming card, if its for production its a gamble to go with a gaming card. I'm sure after my post somebody will piss and moan about how expensive workstation cards are and say there's no difference and you should buy a gaming card but it comes down to what specific features of Maya you use as to what will and won't work. Cheers!

Olson is right. It depends on what you are going to be doing. Personally I tried to go the high road with quadro - one time - hoping it would sort out little bugs in maya, but that didn't work. I had the same small bugs. So nowadays I use geforce cards in all workstations, in production. There is a fix for some of the bugs between geforce and maya which has left me quite happy.

Performance wise - A Quadro from the same generation will push more polys around your scene than a geforce. Problem is as Olson said - The price which normally means you will be getting an older gen quadro than high end geforce cards, negating the advantage.

I just have to say one comment - When Olson says all sculpting features will be broken - this is not to say you won't be able to use them. You will be able to use all the features just fine, however be ready for some slightly annoying "non show stopping" bugs:)

CKPinson
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Anevsky Quote "I had the same small bugs." Really- Do Quadro Cards glitch the Viewports? When I'm using my PC at home (Geforce) I notice that frequently my viewport I'm working in will freeze up and act funny so I hit the space bar in and out til it clears up- another is that my manipulation tools (scale, translate, multi, etc) will disapear in all but one viewport. Another is that my geo will be distorted or invisible in my ortho views. Yet another is that my Graph acts funky- turns solid or makes strange artifacts infront of my geo. Still, I have managed to use Maya but it is annoying.

luxwork
07-08-2009, 03:58 AM
I have to say that I have always had a quadro card for maya, almost every generation released, and I have never had glitchy problems or artifacts; any issues I had got fixed by driver updates, or maya updates. On a whim I decided to try a geforce 8800 GT when it came out - nothing but trouble, I finally got it to work with the right settings, and it never worked on dual monitors. Not worth the hassle if you are making a living with this stuff.

I think the experince may be different on other 3d software, I know houdini worked fine on that 8800, so I would stick to quadros if you want to use maya. Maya was written on ported Motif from the SGI and it needs those esoteric quadro features to work properly.

I hear max and c4d work fine on those cards as well.

MD

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2009, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.