PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft opening up a new studio in Toronto.

SheepFactory
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/661530

Video game developer Ubisoft will set up shop in Toronto as part of a deal with the Ontario government to create jobs in the province.

Premier Dalton McGuinty and Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat are expected to release more details about how many jobs will be created when they make the announcement later today.

The company, which already has a studio in Montreal and employs more than 2,000 in Quebec, also set up a presence in Vancouver earlier this year.

It has created games such as Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six" and ``Prince of Persia."

Ontario has been trying to attract tech-based, creative industries as part of its plan to offset the loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector.

The province has a digital media industry that generates about $1 billion a year.

sigma
07-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Awesome news! Its about time!

NetMapel
07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
As a Canadian, I say way to go, Ubisoft :)

lovisx
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
This is going to be amazing for Toronto!

ambient-whisper
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
wicked. i wonder what they will be tasked to do over here. they mentioned tech sector, so i wonder if it will be more of a research and development type of division, or if they would be just looking at tapping into the local talent to help them out overall. great news for Toronto either way

NicolasJordan
07-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Now if the auto workers were to lose there jobs in Ontario they can go apply at Ubisoft. :wise:

undoz
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Finally some good news from the industry. Glad to see that ubisoft is doing well.

rockstar30
07-07-2009, 06:49 AM
It's always good to have new doors for opportunities open

plunq
07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
That's awesome for Toronto! I know there has been a lot of downsizing in TO lately because of the economy, great timing!

whalerider
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
i bet the Ontario government offered them hefty tax incentives.

the British Columbia government has been doing that for many years, that's why now Vancouver is a big CG industry hub.

Finally some good news from the industry. Glad to see that ubisoft is doing well.

arctor
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
the ontario govt. is doing an incentive thingy where they will match a % of investement...so it's not a tax thing.

from : http://www.torontosun.com/money/2009/07/06/10038821.html

"Premier Dalton McGuinty and Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat say Ubisoft will establish a major video game studio in the city with the help of a $263-million investment over 10 years from the provincial government. Ubisoft will itself invest more than $500 million in the new studio, set to begin operations before the end of the year."

oh and there hasn't really been any 'downsizing' in TO at all...

hanskloss
07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Great news. I wish Michigan could do the same. We need jobs here badly.

PEN
07-07-2009, 11:50 PM
This is great news as there has never really been a major game house in TO. There are lots of effects houses and a few large ones but no decent game companies. I just might have to start knocking on a couple doors soon.

gotsds
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
holly sh*t ! its about time

fudini
08-08-2009, 07:19 AM
oh and there hasn't really been any 'downsizing' in TO at all...

You're right Arctor. I only hear about downsizing in Toronto and Vancouver from people who don't live here. Often from outside of the country. Whats up with that?

NetMapel
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Jade Raymond appointed as the Toronto studio head (http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=59&art_id=60&vars=c2VuZGVyPUFMTCZzZW5kZXJfdXJsPWluZGV4LnBocCUzRnAlM0Q1OSUyNmFydF9pZCUzRCZjb21faWQ9NzAwJmZpbHRlcl90eXBlPSZmaWx0ZXJfbW9udGg9JmZpbHRlcl95ZWFyPQ%3D%3D&PHPSESSID=425ef34d8b9b1045e2a0a3eeea3cd34f)

Ubisoft® announced today the appointment of Jade Raymond as head of its recently announced Toronto studio. Under the governance of Yannis Mallat, Chief Executive Officer of Ubisoft’s Montreal and Toronto Studios, Raymond will oversee day-to-day operations of the Toronto studio’s work on video game projects.

Raymond joined Ubisoft’s Montreal studio in 2004 as a producer on Assassin’s Creed® and is currently executive producer on the upcoming Assassin’s Creed® II among other Ubisoft projects. Prior to Ubisoft, Raymond spent eight years on video game development for Electronic Arts, IBM and Sony Online.

“I’m excited to have Jade managing our Toronto studio,” said Yannis Mallat, chief executive officer of Ubisoft Montréal and Ubisoft Toronto. “With more than 12 years of experience in the video game industry, Jade’s knowledge and leadership as an industry veteran are major assets in building the Toronto studio and expanding Ubisoft’s presence in Canada.”

“I’m honored to be a part of Ubisoft’s expansion into Toronto,” said Jade Raymond. “I’m looking forward to building a strong and talented team to work on AAA games and new intellectual properties.”

Ubisoft Toronto is slated to open by the end of the 2009 calendar year, and it’s expected to create approximately 800 new jobs over the next decade. Industry professionals interested in joining Ubisoft Toronto, please email: work.in.TO@ubisoft.com.

Suddenly the application rate to this new studio just tripled !

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.