PDA

View Full Version : From Zbrush back to Maya

martinf430
07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Im creating a low poly mesh in maya and plan to export it to zbrush do some detailing then export back to maya for animation, i was wondering whats the best mothod of getting the finnished mesh back to maya? am i best exporting a low poly cage as an obj and use displacement and normal maps for the detail or am i better just exporting normal and displacement maps to my original mesh in maya? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Martin

cgbeige
07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I often have problems generating transfer maps with meshes generated by ZBrush (don't ask why but they have weird corruptions). use ZBrush with AUV tiles, which are lame and don't factor in object space but it seems to choke on tangent space UVs and good UV layouts done externally. They end up with seams.

twosheds
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Im creating a low poly mesh in maya and plan to export it to zbrush do some detailing then export back to maya for animation, i was wondering whats the best mothod of getting the finnished mesh back to maya? am i best exporting a low poly cage as an obj and use displacement and normal maps for the detail or am i better just exporting normal and displacement maps to my original mesh in maya? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Martin

You're better off exporting a fully UV mapped version of your object to Maya FROM Zbrush. Don't use the lowest subdivision either. Use maybe #2 or #3. Delete the lower subdivision levels and use the low poly version that you're going to export as your mesh to create your disp and normal maps.
The reason for doing it this way is simple - your disp and normal maps will look better on your model if your model is as close to the finished product shape as possible, without being too overbearing.

martinf430
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for ur help mick. when exporting the mesh back to Maya should i export as an .obj? and do i need to create any low poly cages?

Thanks
Martin

gpepper
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
It depends...
Most of the time I create a low poly in Maya or max or Blender... I do the UV in the 3D software, ZB UV don't work everytime...
I sculpt the low poly in ZB ( and do also the textures...)
Then I rexport the mesh from ZB to the 3D package in Obj. Most of the time I also click on the cage button in ZB... It helps to deform the mesh sculpted in ZB if you use the move button a lot...
Then in the 3d package a do my renders with the displacement map or/plus normal map...
But we can see now many modelers using ZB or maya or any other 3D package to create after the sculpt in ZB a retopology mesh and then the detail is projected on this new topology...
They do such a thing to have a clean mesh with a edge flow in the right area for all the animations movements...
I think you can find good tutorials on the internet to see this...

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.