PDA

View Full Version : How to USE modo

wildwobby
07-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to get the hang of modo, just started using it the last few days.

My problem seems to be is understanding how things are done and what they do.

For example, the edge weight tool. What exactly is changing, and what is the difference from that and just beveling an edge?

Also, I'm having a rough time figuring out how to assign materials to meshes. The only way I know how is to select it, then click m. But what if you want to change it to a different material, etc?

Some other things I have a hard time on is the UV Align tools. How am I suppose to use them to align my UV map?

If someone could give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Robby

ediris
07-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Also, I'm having a rough time figuring out how to assign materials to meshes. The only way I know how is to select it, then click m. But what if you want to change it to a different material, etc?

Robby

Use the shader Tree( Left hand after your items tab) to edit materials and assigned different materials to different channels or all the channels. I am still struggling with the shader tree.

h9k
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
The edge weight tool is handy when you don't specifically need to put any more geometry down on the model.
I always look at it as if there are 2 invisible bezier curves that you adjust in order to sharpen the edge.

it gives you some control without having to loop slice
hope that makes sense!

BigRed11
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Since you're having these questions, and most likey will have many more to come, perhaps you should consider investing in the modo guide or some other training material?

derkoi
07-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I recommend some training videos, the official modo ones are great as are Dan Ablans (http://www.3dgarage.com/)

GrahamAllan
07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Hi all, I am also brand new at modo and like wildwobby I have had a hard time understanding the basics.
The best intro I have found is the Luxology furniture in modo by Andrew Brown. Although furniture might not be your thing, the 4 vids create different objects using Primitives, curves, Profiles and SoftObjects. Lighting, materials and displacement maps are also covered.

Hope this helps.
all the best. Graham

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.