PDA

View Full Version : animation: girl running down street

okkio
07-28-2003, 04:35 AM
Hello all, here is an animation I've recently finished, part of a show reel I'm putting together. I'd appriciate some feedback especially in the area of lighting/ texturing. I've attatched two images from the actual render. Work done in max 5.1, CS3.2 and Combustion. Hope you like it.

For the animation right click and save the target to your HHD for smooth playback (divx):
http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/animation/jade_ball_divx8.avi

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/images/showreel_comp_0745.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/images/showreel_comp_0914.jpg

just a quick update after some feedback, (thought I would edit the original post to save people reading to the end!) Below is the still I posed that lead to this animation

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/images/bot_girl_pose.jpg

and the first animation that bread from the still (this might help explain the floaty ball a little!):

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/animation/girl_ball.avi

and here is a very early render of the character she interacts with in scenes to follow (some people have noted her head is a little large, which it is, to fit in with this cartoony old man:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/animation/pre_texture_proportions.avi

okkio
07-28-2003, 03:38 PM
it's not that bad is it?? Some c+c would be great...

Space Penguin
07-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Nice animation. The character movements were very smooth, and the whole thing just flowed. I also enjoyed the camera tricks.

It's way too short though, so I can't really say anything more.

UnlikelyCorny
07-28-2003, 06:50 PM
The opening intro camera widening I'm not so sure about. Nice effect but does not reaaly suit any purpose in thsi clip. Other than that the clip is great. Lovely character animation, great little subtleleties. The ball is ok, but a bit of a cliché, the model on the otherhand is great (like the little intern movements at the end.)

It's not too short, but I would love to see more.

Rhid1en
07-28-2003, 07:54 PM
I personally really like the lens effect at the begining; couple of critiques though... that ball looks like it would be heavy, I would try to stress a little more weight/effort when she picts it up. Even if she is really strong, being biomechanical, I think this would improve the realisticness to her movement. I also don't care for the extream cu at the end of her eyes, unless you work further on the textures and modeling of them.

markdc
07-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Very nice:thumbsup:

Can you give us some details on how you lit this scene?

Ex Tessera
07-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey

It's nice, a lot of it is totally awesome. However, I have a few suggestions on how to make it better.

First, the face falls apart up close. It looks great from a medium or a long shot, but up close it sucks. While the animation is loading for everyone, thats all we see. On video, its probably fine, becuase they woudln't see it for longer than one frame. But I was turned off by it while it loaded. Maybe start out with the camera on the side of the head, not right in the center of it.

Second, the animation is great except for the begining. Up until she releases the ball it's a little bit floaty, not terrible, but just not as crisp as it could be.

After that, the animation is pretty awesome. Flip on the ground: Smooth! Landing: Awesome impact, without being cartoony- perfect!

Hope this helps.

mattregnier
07-28-2003, 10:36 PM
The character is very unique with a great blend of mechanic/organic. The animation of the ball is very smooth, but the girls movements need to be smoothed out a bit. I notice the most trouble when she does the in-air somersault...

okkio
07-29-2003, 01:20 AM
thankyou all for your replies.

Ex Tessera / Rid1en: This shot falls inbetween two others, and therefore the close up is not an issue. If there was a static close up I would remodel / texture it to hold, though it isn't necessary in the final comp. I will uploaded a newer version with a blank frame to load on, this should help...

The ball floats off her hand at the begining, as the whole animation started from this still (attatched below) I basically finished modelling her, and wanted to pose her, I finished posing her, and liked the pose, so tried to turn it into an animation. In the still the ball is hovering off her hand, kind of magically. In the clip I tried to capture the idea of her catching the ball and then through a kind of magical power hovering it above her hand... it would work better with some partical effect around the ball at this point maybe?? I tried, but couldn't get the particles to look any good. I tried aniamting the ball to a glow when it was hovering, though I guess it didn't come up too well! These are the problems when you create an animation with absloutely no beginging / end in mind!

brian_dlm: all scan lit in max. I personally would like to push the lighting to give it more life, though can't work out how to do it...

I will upload the total animation in another week or so... Just need to find some more web sapce...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~okkio/images/showreel_comp_0755.jpg

KendoJedi
07-29-2003, 01:42 AM
I loved it. I'm all for the crazy bionic ninja tricks she does with the ball and stuff. And shes kinda naked too which doest hurt.

ZrO-1
07-29-2003, 02:34 AM
I love the design of your character. That combined with the aspect of the girl playing with a ball almost brings a sense of childhood to the animation.
The only crit I have for you is that the current lighting makes the set look like a miniature. It looks like it might be about 1/8th scale if it were real.
Other than that I don't have any other crits.
Loved the piece overall. Great work! :beer:

okkio
07-29-2003, 02:45 AM
the divx is updated with a blank frame inserted at the start for loading....

okkio
07-29-2003, 02:48 AM
zrO-1: thanks for you r comments. I would like some help with the lighting of this scene, it's one of reasons for posting here. Traditionally I work as an animator/ modeller, though have just recently started dabling in texturing and lighting with mixed success. What would you suggest I do with the lighting to take it away from the miniture effect??

NowhereMan
07-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Thats a great work, great character and great animation , lighting and rendering.

But in the begining, there's something about the field of view, or scale that annoys me, what was that? I somewhat had the sensation that the girl was growing related to the cityscape. Or vice versa. Was something wrong about scaling i guess...

Maybe im wrong!! But overall great work, i loved the end when the girl lands on the ground!!! :beer:

hwachai
07-29-2003, 08:10 AM
very nice animation ...

CENOBITE
07-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Woah! Watch out... some action going on here. I liked the energy of the film. However, for some reason the proportions of the cyborg babe looks off. The head too big? Legs too short? For some reason she strikes me as having the proportions of a midget (ahem, sorry... vertically challenged) person.

The camera zoom in the beginning is abrupt, but it creates a tension right from the start.

I liked the little animation details you included like the piston moving in her leg after she landed. :applause:

okkio
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
NowhereMan: thankyou for your comments, the strange depth of field thing is to try and build tension, and fits in better when viewed with the preceeding clip. Basically it's a camera truck, with the FOV animated to keep the character full screen whilst the background rushes towards her.

CENOBITE: thankyou for your comments, yes her proportions are a little strange, as in the preceeding scene to this animation she is interacting with a cartoony man with a big head. They looked really horrible together, so I changed her proportions to meet his cartoony side half way. It looks strange when she's alone on screen, though when you see them together you'll understand what I'm saying. I've edited the original post and added an avi showing the proportions of the old man and her together if you care to check it out. Thanks again!

Simtub
06-04-2004, 03:43 AM
wow just saw this animation you posted up last year! really cool animating skills indeed. Did you set up the character with a Biped?
If so, how did u get the mechanical parts to work in Physique with the human 1/2? I'd like to know how you put it together and enveloped the mechanical parts to keep it solid looking..

amazing!

fr3drik
10-07-2004, 07:59 AM
I really like the lighting and texturing on this one!

pearl3d
10-07-2004, 08:41 AM
very nice work -

fantastic character :)
congratulations :thumbsup:

koncz
10-07-2004, 10:43 AM
I like the movement of the character during the scene, great sound too.
Your modelling is really good, i really like this Bio-woman:thumbsup: .

Georges.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.