PDA

View Full Version : need help building an helmet

Keytachi
07-05-2009, 12:18 AM
So after playing brawl for a bit i thought of making samus' helmet, but i can't seem to find a good place to start with! I tried box modeling (didn't work out that well) making a curve out of the contour of the helmet (which didn't come out as expected...)

Can anyone help me tackle this project?
thanks.

Psyk0
07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I duno if that's gonna help, but here's how i modeled an iron man helmet:

I was lucky enough to find excellent reference material of front, side and 3/4 view. I lined them all up in pshop and created guides in max. Next i traced the major shapes of the helmet, trying to follow curvature as best as possible. Once completed i was left with a spline cage of the object i wanted to model.

The modeling stage was started with a single polygon that i extruded to build all of the surfaces. Keep the modeling very low poly, the subdivision modifier will give you a way better surface (not crooked or pinched) with few polygons. Once the major shapes of the helmet were done, i started to cut in the details. This required rebuilding areas of the mesh from time to time, its not a 1 shot process.

Heres a tutorial that was posted here some time ago, its pretty close to what i did:
http://www.bracercom.com/tutorial/content/Ironman_Helmet_Modeling/ironman_helmet_modeling.html

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.