hello
I'm trying to simulate the JERKing effect of motion that appears
in STOP MOTION animations, with 3dsmax.
I performed some test with dummies with noise controler, but
that' was not acceptable enough.
what's your idea?

FBMachine
05-11-2002, 08:54 AM
I'm actually trying to do the same ( though in Maya not Max ). I've been trying to get the look ( and failing ) by setting linear key frames at a slower rate then the rest of the animation. Then I go back, and manually tweak the pose to look nice as a single frame, which makes the motion a little less fluid between frames, and more ruff looking. Then I rendered out each pose one at a time, and for each frame I tweaked the mesh a bit to look good for that frame, making the surface of the mesh kind of pop around a bit. It's looking pretty weak though, that's why I'm renting a bunch of old cheesy monster movies this weekend, if I come up with a better method, I'll let you know! :)
Dan

ilasolomon
05-11-2002, 09:49 PM
it sounds good, but i want a automated method. it takes time
to animate frame by frame.maybe a script could help (but
i don't know scripting!)

Gilgamesh
05-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Whats wrong with just rendering at a low frame rate with no motion blur? Perhaps you could also add a little noise to the rotation of the bones so that on any given frame they aren't quite where they should be.

awakener
05-12-2002, 02:44 AM
Salam Ila

1-notice to that in stop motion animation animators use 12 f/s or 8 f/s (1/2 *24 or 1/3*24)

2-that jerkey motioin you create by noise will destroy your project,cause of it is out of your control.

3- you should animate the characters in Pose to Pose mode,then use rand function instead of noise in between keys.

4-notice to that in Stop motion animation the camera have a little offset that increase the jerk of final result . you can use this and simulate the same scene.

5-if you use Maya or Xsi , i can mail you a very useful scripts that i write them for the same purpose.

:beer:

ilasolomon
05-12-2002, 06:37 AM
thank you for your comments...
well...just 12 or 8 fps & little noise dos not enough.
& i think the effect will be achived manulay in some case, but
maybe scripting has an answer to that!
cause i'm learning maya so your script is welcome! :)
(mail to: ila_solomon@yahoo.com)
cheers

ila

sailao
07-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to achieve the look and feel of stop motoin animation in xsi. can any one help me?

kind regards,

Leonard

sailao
07-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi all,

Trying to achieve the effect of stop motion in xsi. would appreciate you help salam and all

Salam Ila

1-notice to that in stop motion animation animators use 12 f/s or 8 f/s (1/2 *24 or 1/3*24)

2-that jerkey motioin you create by noise will destroy your project,cause of it is out of your control.
4-notice to that in Stop motion animation the camera have a little offset that increase the jerk of final result . you can use this and simulate the same scene.
3- you should animate the characters in Pose to Pose mode,then use rand function instead of noise in between keys.

5-if you use Maya or Xsi , i can mail you a very useful scripts that i write them for the same purpose.

:beer:

FunBucket
07-02-2005, 03:31 AM
I've been looking into this for a while now. So much so, that I'm getting to the point of thinking I should just do stopmotion animation!

Stopmotion animators don't strictly animate 12fps. A lot of them animate the full 24fps, some alternate between ones and twos.

Also, I think the best way to get your stuff to look more jerky is to turn off f-curves. Then just animate normally. I can't remember what it's called. I think it's called stepped frames or something in 3ds max. Instead of interpolating between frames, it forces the f-curves to be perfectly straight no matter what. Most computer animators probably couldn't survive without f-curves, but that's how 2d and stopmotion animators do it, MANUALLY!

Just try that and see if it makes a difference. I'm personally thinking about focusing on stopmotion for all of my own projects, but still learning animation on computer just for job security. I HATE MODELING!

Hope that helps!

--

Jay

sailao
07-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi,

Thanks for you help. I will try that in xsi. I am from a max background and prefer modelling. On a 3D Computer animation course at Bournemouth university to rxpand my skill set.

thanks again

sailao
07-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi Awakener,

I am using xsi for my stop motion animation piece, so I would really appreciate your help. please can you send me a copy of the script you suggested to Salam Ila. I am using xsi 4.2 at the momment. My email address is sailao9@hotmail.com.

thanks again,

sailao

grury
07-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Ila,
You may want to check out this thread at CGChar http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4287&

cheers

Tripple-I
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Also try rendering in passes and dropping select frames from your character

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.