PDA

View Full Version : How much do you need to know before attending a MA program ?

deatheater4ever
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Everyone ,

My name is Gaurav and I am thinking of attending the Digital Effects Course ( offered as MA ) at Bournemouth University .... They teach a wide variety of softwares like Real Flow , PF Track , Nuke , Shake .... and I 'm familiar with just Maya and ZBrush ....

Is it important to be very familiar with all the softwares that they teach before I go there ? Like maybe get Personal Learning Editions of each softwares to be familier with them ....

My one great fear is that there might be other students there who would already know many other programs more that I do . I am sure there would be . I do not wish to feel left behind as they might get on creating artwork and effects while I am still exploring the software ...

So I have a question ... How many of you were familier with a multitude of 3d packages and compositing softwares before you got into proper college level 3d education ??

ZacD
07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone ,

My name is Gaurav and I am thinking of attending the Digital Effects Course ( offered as MA ) at Bournemouth University .... They teach a wide variety of softwares like Real Flow , PF Track , Nuke , Shake .... and I 'm familiar with just Maya and ZBrush ....

Is it important to be very familiar with all the softwares that they teach before I go there ? Like maybe get Personal Learning Editions of each softwares to be familier with them ....

My one great fear is that there might be other students there who would already know many other programs more that I do . I am sure there would be . I do not wish to feel left behind as they might get on creating artwork and effects while I am still exploring the software ...

So I have a question ... How many of you were familier with a multitude of 3d packages and compositing softwares before you got into proper college level 3d education ??

Most likely no one is going to know all the software programs so they are going to have to start at square one for each program. I would of asked the school before asking the forums here though to get a better idea. Most universities are going to have kids that barely even know about 3D and there's also going to be a few kids that seem they know almost everything. Knowing the basics should be good enough, reel flow is kinda set up like maya or any other 3D program but its mostly just for running liquid simulations. Nuke and Shake are for composting and as long as you know about multi-pass rendering I wouldn't be too worried.

deatheater4ever
07-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Most likely no one is going to know all the software programs so they are going to have to start at square one for each program. I would of asked the school before asking the forums here though to get a better idea. Most universities are going to have kids that barely even know about 3D and there's also going to be a few kids that seem they know almost everything. Knowing the basics should be good enough, reel flow is kinda set up like maya or any other 3D program but its mostly just for running liquid simulations. Nuke and Shake are for composting and as long as you know about multi-pass rendering I wouldn't be too worried.

Thanks a lot Zac ,

Gave me a bit of reassurance ....I would be stumped to see if all my batch mates had a lotta experience and knew much about the stuff beforehand ....

I have wasted some years taking my time to see which university to join etc , but I think that now waiting is enough ....

I have yet to totally dive intop multi pass rendering ... only done it a bit much ... but I can try again ....

So one more question if you have the time that is ... did you know your stuff or had any previous work experience before you joined your 3d School ??

My previous work experience was teaching Maya and Photoshop at a small teaching institute to a batch of 10 - 15 students ....

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.