PDA

View Full Version : Lombard Street

kamikazerussell
05-11-2002, 07:07 AM
This is a model I've started working on. I've only done characters thus far, so environment modeling is new to me. I have a little more modeling to do, and then it's on to the tedious task of mapping this.

FYI: it is being modeled in XSI 2.0.1 and the total poly count is approximately 10,000 tri's.

I still need to clean up some of the geometry, and I'm also going to (of course) duplicate trees and bushes once they're unwrapped.

kamikazerussell
05-11-2002, 07:08 AM
A couple more screen shots...

tpe
05-11-2002, 09:41 AM
That is really nice, i like the amount of detail, i dont know the area if it exists but anyway it really lends its self to nice composition.

tpe

Just looked at your wire frame a bit more and i see quite a few areas for mesh optimisation, will you be doing any?

SeanW
05-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey looks like its really comming along. I have never seen this street before, what type of ref are you using? You plan on takeing some photos for textures? You know that your now forcing me to do enviornments now...... You evil, evil man.:shame:

kamikazerussell
05-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I intend on cleaning up some of the geometry. There's a few spots where I need to optimize it a little better. Thankfully, cleaning up geometry in XSI 2.0.1 is a piece of cake :buttrock: !

I'm using photos as reference, I went up to San Francisco about a week ago to take photographs of Lombard Street. The buildings aren't 100% accurate (apparently I didn't take enough photos) but hopefully it will come off looking close enough to the real thing so that people will recognize it. Thanks for the compliments!:D

tpe
05-12-2002, 12:02 AM
Really looking forward to seeing it textured

tpe

Shogun
05-12-2002, 12:18 AM
I recognised it from Tony Hawks (1 or 2, I forget.) Nice work.

CADster
05-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by SeanW
Hey looks like its really comming along. I have never seen this street before, what type of ref are you using? You plan on takeing some photos for textures? You know that your now forcing me to do enviornments now...... You evil, evil man.:shame:

grab midtown madness 2 for the PC .... you can drive down it (or do what i do... JUMP IT !!! ) :D

CADster

Loveless
05-19-2002, 06:34 AM
this was on the simpsons a couple nights ago.....
(this log was made for you and me....)

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Okay, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's still quite faint. I still have a lot to do with this scene. There are some issues with the alpha maps that I need to sort out, and I need to add some more bushes/plantlife as well as more variation. I also intend to change up the tree textures a bit to make it less obvious it's the same model that's duplicated several times. A lot of the textures themselves need some more work before I can be happy with this scene. I also need to work the lighting to get it to look right.....and I think a sky might help.....wouldn't you? Well, even though this scene is far from complete, I'd still love to hear what you guys have to say about this scene and I am looking forward to some criticism! :buttrock:
Thanks.

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 02:14 AM

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 02:15 AM

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 02:19 AM

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 02:20 AM

Grooveholmes
05-25-2002, 03:49 AM
Its looking good, I'd like to see mabye see a nightime set up, dramatic lighting and what-not.

Do the bricks follow the contours of the street or are they stacked straight down like yours?

vmpre
05-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Really starting to take shape. I would agree that some lighting would really help make some areas pop. Are you going to use rendermap to bake in vertex colors?

How was it doing this in XSI? Was material management a headache?

Are you working some where right now?

Later
Vmpre

kamikazerussell
05-25-2002, 05:04 PM
Grooveholmes:
The thought occured to me to do a night time scene with the dynamic lighting, but I was thinking it might take away from showing the textures. It's something that I might tackle a little later on after I finish everything else that I want to get through. But I agree, it would look really cool as a nighttime scene. It would definitely help my portfolio. Thank you for your thoughts!

vmpre:
As far as using XSI 2.0.1 for this scene, it was very nice. The sub-d and texturing tools are so easy to use and artist friendly (being the dumb artist that I am, this is a plus). XSI 2.0 is by far and away my favorite program. I've never used rendermap, but I'll look into it. And, unfortunately, I am currently unemployed. I just graduated last month and I'm hoping that this Lombard Street scene will help me find a job. D'oh!

sean_G
05-25-2002, 09:20 PM
schmooth environment man, reminds me of good ol' sunny cali4nia... looking foward to your final "beauty shot". how will you use it when your done?

kamikazerussell
05-31-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks Sean. I am going to use this scene strictly as a demo reel piece. I want to do a final render during the day, but I'd also like to try one at either dusk or at night. We'll see how long it takes me to finish this up. Hopefully not that long because I have other projects I need to get to work on. Thanks again.

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 10:49 AM
Okay, I've been out of town for a while, so now I'm a bit behind schedule. I am pulling the plug on this scene at the end of the week so I'm trying to get this as close to satisfactory as possible. Here are the latest renders, I still have quite a bit of work to do on some of the textures. Some are too saturated or monochromatic, and others need some work period. I'm also planning on throwing bump maps in there as well as specularity maps on the windows. Let me know what you guys think of my progress! As always, criticism is more than welcome.....

Thanks guys.

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 10:50 AM

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 10:51 AM

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 10:52 AM

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 10:53 AM

puddlefish
06-04-2002, 08:53 PM
This looks really nice, but I've been to Lombard Street as well and I'm pretty sure it's not nearly that steep. It is steep, sure, but this would be VERY dangerous for cars.

I have some photos I can scan in if you want, but if you have some already there's not much point.

Having said that, if this is for a game, especially a driving game, go ahead and exaggerate it. Steep hills are what made Driver great!

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I know it isn't this steep. I initially wanted to exaggerate it slightly, but I suppose I may have gone a little overboard. Thanks for offering the pics, but I have plenty. I took a bunch for reference photos before starting this scene. Thanks for the feedback.

tobalno3
06-04-2002, 11:20 PM
sorry if you answered this before...i just didn't feel like reading the other posts:

what sort of street is this? is it a sidewalk for skating or blading or what?

kamikazerussell
06-04-2002, 11:27 PM
No problem....it's a real street in San Francisco. It is basically another tourist trap, but it's for cars only.

tobalno3
06-04-2002, 11:29 PM
that's funny cause i would have been walking down that street and unwillingly be hit by a car cause of my ignorance.

cool though.

RDK
06-05-2002, 05:38 AM
very impressive, 1 of these days i will give some terrain modeling in maya a try

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Well, I am somewhat satisfied with these final renders. I gave a sunset look a try and I am pleased with how it came out. There is still a lot more I could do with this scene but it's time to move on to other projects. I hope everyone likes these renders and even though I am pulling the plug, I would still like to hear some criticism. Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate it!

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:34 PM

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:44 PM

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Here's the final Daytime Renders. I added specular and reflection mapping to the windows and I fixed the texure on the curb along the road.

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:52 PM

kamikazerussell
06-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Grooveholmes
06-06-2002, 04:27 AM
:D Hell yeah man, good job with the lighting.. its starting to pop.

I had a thought (crit) about this scene... What makes this level interesting or fun to play? What could be added for more interest to make the gameplay more exciting? Maybe a larger scale? It almost seems like if you're character were barelling down this street on a (al la tony hawk or GTA3) that the level would be over in 3 seconds. Throw in an obstacle 2/3's of the way down once they've built up ample speed:twisted: ..Gameplay elements, Gameplay elements... Or think about scrambling to get to the top in a fps skirmish, what could be added to make something like that more exciting?

Parasite7
06-06-2002, 05:53 AM
man simply put that is awesome. looks great. u did an excellent job with the texturing and modeling. ur lighting is wut makes this piece shine. i would like to see more low poly stuff from u man. maybe a character for the next project?

kamikazerussell
06-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Grooveholmes:
I went into this project just wanting to model one block of a city to show on my demo reel. I agree with you one hundred percent that it would need some different elements to make it more interesting to play through. It just wasn't really my purpose this time around. I just wanted to show that I was somewhat capable of modeling low poly environment stuff. Thank you for the feedback.....it's something that I'll definitely think about when/if I have time to dive back in and finish some of the things that need to be finished. Thanks again.

Parasite7:
Thank you very much for the compliments! I've done some low poly characters, two of which are on my ridiculously messed up site (www.russellimagery.com)....although those are my first characters I ever did. There are four more characters that I posted a while back on here.....and when I get around to fixing my site, I'll be sure to add them on there as well. I love character modeling and I'll be doing more soon. Thank you again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.