PDA

View Full Version : Is this memory good?

Emberghost
07-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Here is the link (http://pcwonderinc.com/1gbkit51pc331.html)

I came across this a few days ago and I am wondering is that price to good to be true? It seems awfully cheap...

But it would run great in my dual channel Gigabyte mobo and with my new athlon 2700. I know the rule of "you get what you pay for," ...but its such a nice deal lol :drool:

Give me your oppinions.

Dave Black
07-28-2003, 02:54 AM
I bought low price memory a few years ago. Got myself a nice cool gig. About 4 months after I built the machine, the memory went bad, ruined my data, and eventually blew my system.

I now have 1 gig of useless ram, and I had to rebuild the system.

If you are using dual channel, and a high clock speed, you NEED to get quality RAM. Seriously. I'll pay the highest price now to ensure my memory is good.

Go to newegg.com and buy 2 matched pairs(important for dual channel)of corsair brand memory. It will cost you more, but in the end, it will make up for it.

Just my opinion.

-3DZ

:D

Valkyrien
07-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Go Kingston. Relatively inexpensive, and good quality:)

MattClary
07-28-2003, 08:03 PM
I agree. DOn't buy into the "hand picked, matched pairs" crap if you're not overclocking. I've got two stock KVR3200 Kingstons in dual channel mode. Rock solid.

Emberghost
07-28-2003, 08:08 PM
So is regular kingston memory in dual channel pretty much the same as kingston hyperx in dual channel if I dont overclock?

Dave Black
07-28-2003, 08:40 PM
MattClary:

While I am not an overclocker, nor really that skilled with hardware configuration, the pros on this board and just about everywhere else swear that matched pairs is a must for dual channel. I'm very glad that your setup works great with an unmatched pair, and from what I understand, it's hit or miss. So you got the good end of the odds. My only thinking in this regard, is that if your memory does not work properly, you're out quite a bit of money and trouble.

Just some thoughts.

-3DZ

MattClary
07-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Emberghost, do NOT use HyperX with dual channel. When I was mulling this over, I called Kingston for advice. They said not to use HyperX in dual channel mode, and that their KVR line will do just fine in dual channel mode.

3DZealot, what qualifies as a pro? I make my living from supporting software and hardware. Kingston assured me I would have no issues, that's good enough for me. Also, in the name of stability, I bought an Intel board. Your board choice will greatly affect stability, not all boards will work well with all memory. In my case, I trust a combo of Intel and Kingston. It's not necessarily going to give me maximum performance, but I trust the stability.

Bottom line, if you have a couple hundred extra bucks to drop on "hand picked", go for it. I'm just saying it's not necessary.

Dave Black
07-28-2003, 10:18 PM
I certainly did not want to imply that you're not a "pro", but that people such as myself and the gentleman asking for advice have to get their info from somewhere. You are just the first guy I've seen who has gone against this thinking, and it's hard to believe that everyone else is full of poop. Which they may be, but I have no way of knowing.

I was just attempting to take a middle road and mention that it can't hurt to be safe regarding the choice. I'm sure you know a great deal more than I on the subject, and I don't want to come across as either rude or at like I am an expert on the matter. I was just offering experiential info and giving my opinion on what I'd do in this case.

I appologize if my conduct was misconstrued, and I certainly hope there are no hard feelings.

I'll remove myself from the discussion, as it appears I am only hindering the process.

-3DZ

MattClary
07-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Sorry, 3DZealot, didn't mean to get defensive. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.