PDA

View Full Version : Falloff Maps for Soft Skin

GBREAL
07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
There is was an older thread that I haven't been able to find that explained how to using falloff maps and the shadow/light feature (and some color correction in Photoshop) to produce a nice soft, warm skin effect that is usually used for cartoon characters. Would anyone mind explaining how to do that?

GBREAL
07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
No one knows?

Trauco
07-06-2009, 02:32 AM
do you got a reference we can look at?

also it may depend on the software package you are using, i could provide you with a better answer if i had more details.

I think i undestand your question though.

You can layer a set of fallof maps to achieve subtle effects on color:

You can use one that uses IOR values to get a nice backlight like effect (using a lighter and desaturated color for the edge color, and a darker color for the rest)

you can exagerate the effect of light over a surface using a fallof that uses the direction of light (using a base color for the side getting hit by the light, and a more saturated version of that color for the side on the shadow).

But in the end, it comes down to the look you want to achieve; a image reference + naming the software package you are using can get you a better answer ;-)

GBREAL
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I am using 3DS Max 2008. If I can find the images that were used in the thread I referenced I will post them.

Riperton
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
(Tried that one?) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=781268)

Just realized that it's already explained above. If you need a more detailed explanation, there is somewhere, in one of the main threads for human skin, a description with pictures.

GBREAL
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Would anyone mind posting a more detailed procedure?

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.