PDA

View Full Version : Crumpling and Tearing Masterclass

Robert Magee
07-02-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/tutorials/crumpling/crumpling_main.jpg

Presented by Martin Sawtell, this Masterclass covers the new crumpling and tearing features that are available in Houdini 10's physically-based cloth solver. These include support for plastic deformation, dynamic tearing and changing topologies. The presentation includes direction on basic workflows, and fundamental physical properties of cloth objects. Many of these concepts are supported by working example files including smashing cars, cutting fabric and collapsing buildings.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1540&Itemid=305

circusboy
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Hmm-anyone able to download the movie file (non torrent)?

I'm having trouble getting any more than a fraction (327 KB) of the movie file.
Tried a few times now-never anywhere near the 289 Mb suggested.
Tried from both a 32bit and 64bit machines.

Windows XP-Explorer and FireFox seem to agree as to what is available to download.

Mic_Ma
07-03-2009, 04:48 AM
So amazing! Never ceases to surprise me what Houdini allows artists to do. Can't wait to try it out!

I think you sesi guys should do a Japanese version of the app to make them pop their eyes out here. It's really a shame to have this market completely closed because of language hurdles.

circusboy
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
If they really want it they'll use it.
Softimage was well used in Japan for years before they got a Japanese language version.
Though admittedly the strong demand did make it the first language other than English.

DuttyFoot
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
that is totally amazing. houdini rocks

Mic_Ma
07-04-2009, 01:23 AM
If they really want it they'll use it.
Softimage was well used in Japan for years before they got a Japanese language version.
Though admittedly the strong demand did make it the first language other than English.

I think Softimage is slightly different in that it is fairly straighforward to understand, especially if you know other soft. Saying that, I've overheard collegues argue for ages over what exactly "selecto ajesento pointo" means (it's written like that phonetically in katakana, I don't make it up for condescending effect)

The amount of people I've met in several years that could understand the meaning of "This operator generates anti-aliased (fractional brownian motion) noise by using the derivative information of the incoming position to compute band-limited noise." is frankly no higher than 2. None of them artists. I can't possibly see many ambitious souls wading through pages and pages of this stuff just to get 2 objects parented or whatever.

As long as Houdini is available in English only it'll never catch on in Japan. I am quite sure of that. Sadly.

Br1
07-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Hmm-anyone able to download the movie file (non torrent)?

I'm having trouble getting any more than a fraction (327 KB) of the movie file.
Tried a few times now-never anywhere near the 289 Mb suggested.
Tried from both a 32bit and 64bit machines.

Windows XP-Explorer and FireFox seem to agree as to what is available to download.

I don' t have any problem watching the quicktime (direct link) from here.
Firefox on a Mac, but I guess it should be fine on my PCs as well.

dantea
07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
The amount of people I've met in several years that could understand the meaning of "This operator generates anti-aliased (fractional brownian motion) noise by using the derivative information of the incoming position to compute band-limited noise." is frankly no higher than 2. None of them artists. I can't possibly see many ambitious souls wading through pages and pages of this stuff just to get 2 objects parented or whatever.

Personally, I find it amusing that you would go through the help for a shader node in an attempt to learn how to parent 2 objects. :)

msawtell
07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Glad you guys are finding this video useful :) I'll try to answer your questions here, have fun going through the zip with all the scene files!

-Martin

circusboy
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I think Softimage is slightly different in that it is fairly straighforward to understand, especially if you know other soft. Saying that, I've overheard collegues argue for ages over what exactly "selecto ajesento pointo" means (it's written like that phonetically in katakana, I don't make it up for condescending effect)

That sounds like a language interpretation of 'Select Adjacent Points' to me. If so it makes perfect sense in English as to what this select tool option does. :D

Blazer
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Personally, I find it amusing that you would go through the help for a shader node in an attempt to learn how to parent 2 objects. :)

I think that operator generates position noise for objects, so you could technically use that to inherit another objects position (parenting) with noise on top of it.

But that would be the hard way to approach parenting :P

Mic_Ma
07-07-2009, 03:16 AM
I think that operator generates position noise for objects, so you could technically use that to inherit another objects position (parenting) with noise on top of it.

But that would be the hard way to approach parenting :P

Sorry, it was a bad example. But knowing Houdini the way I do I wouldn't be suprised if somebody does use it for parenting.

ronaldomiranda
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
thanx a lot Robert Magee for bring info about Houdini.

Its damn fast how houdini native render (mantra) can handle displacement, fur, motion blur and tons of polys :D

i advise you to test it if you havent yet, you will not be disapointed ;)

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.