PDA

View Full Version : Quesions

Splinter
07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I like that everyone is coming together and enjoying the competition. If we come to a snag and have any questions that might need to be answered but not sure where to post them. Please feel free to post all your questions here. I will do my best to keep up with what ever questions that might come up.

Soon I will try to come up with list of commonly asked questions and post them here that way they can be referenced at anytime.

See you all in the Main Challenge Thread!!!

ivanlancaster
07-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey Splinter!

I'm looking forward to getting involved in this month's challenge.

Just wanted to check if we could/should be using soundfx in the challenges, or should we do it with strictly no audio whatsoever?

-ivan

Splinter
07-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Just wanted to check if we could/should be using soundfx in the challenges, or should we do it with strictly no audio whatsoever?

-ivan

I think in order to keep things on an even playing ground we should leave the sound FX out. That is a really good question. Thanks for bringing it up.

However if we do want to animate to sound we can try to start bringing in audio clips for everyone to animate to. I was trying to do this in the beginning but I didn't think that it was getting enough playtime, but if there are enough request for this we can put the audio back in with the non-audio clips and have the two options to choose from.

MrMike
07-04-2009, 03:54 AM
I think audio clips would be great, but I have never done an animation to an audio clip so that would be a great test for me to try and animated to.

I like the idea of it.

freakbaba
07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
We can have an acting session next month !

:-)

citizenvin
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
me too using audio clip.. it will be more interesting to see the action..

Splinter
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Just so that we are all still in understanding:

This Month will have no audio involved

Next month we will have one audio clip that everyone can choose to do, there will also be a Non-Audio topic for anyone who isn't comfortable with lip sync yet.

At the end of next month there will be two winners elected for the "WINNERS" Circle, one for each category.

citizenvin
07-07-2009, 07:12 AM
@splinter

can we use as background music??? is that allowed..

Splinter
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Background music couldn't hurt. So if you would like to ad some background music that would be fine.

Everyone: There is an offer for us to join in a challenge with other members of cgsociety. The topic is on Animating a flying sequence in which we will animate and "FXWars" will do the rendering. I think that this can be a really fun challenge for everyone to be involved in. I know we have been throwing around the idea of taking an audio clip and animating to that, but I think that this could end up being what we do next month. We could do this "Multi-Thread" challenge and watch it evolve after we have a crack at it. What is everyone elses opinion. Do we take the offer and join the Modeling, FX, and other mini-challengers and take on this combined effort? Would everyone else be interested in participating?

If it looks like everyone else is on board I will let RobertOrtiz know that we are in, so please let me know if anyone would like to be apart of the challenge soon.

Thank you,

MrMike
07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
@Splinter

Is the flying sequence a bird, a person like iron man or like a plane of some sort?

It sounds like fun. I am in for it.
It would be great to get all of these people here together to brain storm and come up with something great.

So I am all in for it. Again I am not sure how much time I will be able to give to it for month of Aug. If thats when we do it. Aug. is a pretty busy month for me.

Splinter
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Is the flying sequence a bird, a person like iron man or like a plane of some sort?

It sounds like fun. I am in for it.
It would be great to get all of these people here together to brain storm and come up with something great.

Here is what I know about the challenge.

Well the challenge we have in mind is
"The Queen of the Rocketmen"
Imagine sothing aking to the movie serials of the 1930's & 1940s.

The challenge has been multiforum.
DSF (concept art)
hcmod (models)
FXwars (animations)

It would be cool if you guys could help us generating some cool flying animations of the characters. The FXwars would take care of the rendering.

I really think that this could be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

citizenvin
07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
its interesting... we can get into..

MrMike
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
@Splinter

That sound great. I love old time film/animation.
I am so in for this. So will the other guys
make the characters and rig them as well?

Splinter
07-07-2009, 07:18 PM
So will the other guys
make the characters and rig them as well?

I think they will be set up for us to use. I will have to ask Roberto to make sure. I will try and find out as much as I can about how all of this is going to work and I will post back here real soon.

RobertoOrtiz
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi guys Rob here,
I wanted to thank John for being open to this crazy idea.

If this experiment works, we might try more ambitious ideas in the future.

Ok let me see if can answer some questions:

What kind of animation will be needed?
Well that depends.
two factors are in play: the kind of models people do
(Airships, Airmen)
and the kind of animation needs the FXWARS challenge participants will need.

Will there be rigs?

As one of the rules for the modelign challenge is that Ill ask the modellers if they
would be interested in RIGGING their models...

So this means you might get models without rigs.

Anyway, Ill post specifics afer I launch the modeling contest.

-R

svelan
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi splinter,
I am new to this animation challenge forum. I like to join in this month animation challenge. I try to post my WIP stuff.

Vidotto
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
i liked this fx wars idea, i would like o participate

im up to use a non rigged char too

there is any deadline set?

thanks

Majere
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd love to participate in the airmen/rocketeer challenge. I am comfortable rigging so just mesh models is fine by me.

Please let me know more about this as it develops!

Ferx
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey John,

First at all, you are making a great job with this section :D

I have some ideas and comments that can be helpful ( I hope :D):

Think you can open two WIP threads for non audio and audio competitions. Something like this:

ASF_non_audio_AGUST09_WIP (or ASF_acting_)
ASF_audio_AGUST09_WIP

In this threads , like now, are the rules and the participants submit in there the WIP of their animations.

In the last week of the challenge you can open 2 threads more for final animations only:

ASF_non_audio_FINAL_AGU09
ASF_audio_FINAL_AGU09

In this threads only final works, and no comments. The participants can update their animations until dead line. Think that is more esay to review the animation in this way. When deadline arrives, you close the threads, and open the two voting threads.

The winner circle is a cool idea, and you can make a sticky thread with the winners of every month and their animations.

Maybe you can talk with Roberto Ortiz to promote the winners of the monthly competition on the top banner of CG forum (like the "sketch of the week"), think that can be a nice prize for the winners and a good promotion for the Animation sessions :D

My suggestion is that can be only audio challenges: One month a dialog, and other audio FX(In this form, you push the imagination of the animators to create something around of some sort of sounds or music)

Again, you are making a great job in this section and if I can help you, let me know :) Cheers!! :beer:

Fernando

Splinter
08-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Ferx - Thank you for the advice. I really like the ideas that you have given me and I think that I will use them. I will definitely use the idea to seperate different threads. I have realized in the challenge for July it had become a little tedious to find everything needed in the ended. I will try to make the changes really soon.

Thank you again for your ideas!!!

Vidotto
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
i liked the ferx only audio competition and the prize suggestions =]

its possible to splinter become a moderator? for little things like: take off that stick post of drunk session, correct the name of this thead, delete any posts in wrong place....

i think that is a good idea but dont know how is the forum rules for that...

anyway splinter, im still up to help =]

Splinter
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Vidotto - You have been a really big help this far. Thank you. I just PMed Roberto to see if we could get plugged into the banner at the top of the forums main page. I hope to hear back from him really soon. I will be working on separating the challenge categories in the mean time. Your right you I would have to be a mod' in order to do the list of house cleaning that needs to be done around here. LOL :) Sorry about that guys.

DeWeD
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Okay, heres a question.

Might sound ridiculously noobish for you guys but I have to ask.

When I start an animation in Maya I have to opptions I suppose.
Either I use the Global Control to manuver the big movements or I just dont give a damn about that and carry on without it.
How does one usually work?

For example if I were to do this months "walking up a stair"-challenge. What would you reccomend? Using a global control or just animation straight forward?

And one more thing. What free rig is the best to start out with?
I am using Alfred right now. Is Moon or how they call him easy to use?

DeW

Vidotto
08-22-2009, 06:23 PM
hi dew

i didnt understand what you say that global controls or straigh ahead

but i know 2 ways, straight ahead and pose to pose

i prefer the 2 at the same time =] seach for jeff lew's tutorial, i think that has in youtube

about the rigs alfred is very good, moon too

Splinter
08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
When I start an animation in Maya I have to opptions I suppose.
Either I use the Global Control to manuver the big movements or I just dont give a damn about that and carry on without it.
How does one usually work?

For example if I were to do this months "walking up a stair"-challenge. What would you reccomend? Using a global control or just animation straight forward?

And one more thing. What free rig is the best to start out with?
I am using Alfred right now. Is Moon or how they call him easy to use?

DeW

That is actually a really good question. I have actually used the global controls on some of my animations, but I have found that it could add some issues along the way. I once used the global control in order to block in a walk cycle but then had to spend some time in the graph editor and make sure the curves were laid out properly that way the feet weren't sliding when I needed them planted. The global control is great when you have to move the whole character around. So, where and when you use it is entirely up to you it just take some careful planning and possibly some clean up work in the graph editor and/or timing of your keys. It can be very useful and time-saving when making broad movements, but at the same time it isn't absolutely necessary.

As for rigs I haven't used many but I do like "Moom" and "Max for Maya."

I hope that answered your question okay.

Don't worry about the deadline coming up on the animations. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Later,

DeWeD
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanx for the reply Splinter!

Okay I guess ill be using them all a little and then settle for a favourite.
Thanx for the tip.
Really dont know if I have time for any animations though. Have to get down som material for a reel so that I can apply for an internship. But thanx for the inspiring reply! :)

DeW

PS. You should stop over your sketchbook some more. You look like youve got some talent waiting to be used.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.