PDA

View Full Version : still: Baseball Bat

bigjko
07-27-2003, 01:02 PM
This is a pretty boring picture, but it gave me a chance to fiddle around with texturing the bat with scratches and stuff. This is pretty much the first thing I ever have finished, and I'm fairly new at this, so take it easy on me. C&C welcome, I could use some tips to help me in future models.

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=223851

Cheers,

BigJKO

Shaykai
07-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Well for your first piece this is pretty good. Let me give you some good critiques that will help you improve.

Well first of all the bats specularity is way off. Its too shiny. If you look at a wood surface, if it has a lot of scratches on it, it usually isn't as shiny as a brand new scratchless wood surface. Also, some grain up the bat would make the bat look more like wood.
Also it looks like the bat is about to fall off the stand since the stand is so.. odd. I don't know if thats how baseball stands normally look like, but i would assume a nice level stand would be better.
The scratches look good, but i don't know why they would be on the bat... I mean, if the bat is hitting a round surface then why would there be knife-like scratches in it? Maybe its a hit mans bat? And the scratches are from his victims that happened to have kitchen knives?
I hope i didn't critique you too harshly. You show a lot of potential. Hehe, you should have seen the violin i made when i was just learning 3d, it had a lot of the wood texture mistakes that you've made. Good luck: :thumbsup:

Shaykai

bigjko
07-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Haha, thanks for the hilarious critique. Yeah, I pondered for a while if there would actually be scratches on the bat, and you're right, the round surface of the ball shouldn't really be making scratches. Well, maybe the batter keeps hitting a wall in frustration, creating the scratches. But yeah, scratches don't really fit. So, how DOES a worn out bat look like? Oh, and I intended the bat to be metallic, actually. Still not sure if the specularity is right, but it's probably not as way off as you thought. :) And you're right about the bat stand, the bat would probably fall right off it, but I figured this pose would look nicer. :D

Anyways, thanks for the great critique, any more critique is welcome!

bigjko
07-27-2003, 04:27 PM
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=224069

I've retextured the bat as wood now. And the specularity is hopefully not way off again. :)

And the stand has been aligned so that the bat wouldn't fall off were I to use gravity in my scene... :P

And last but not least, I fixed the lighting, it was way too bright.

Anyways, consider this a final, and C&C it as you will. :D

Draemwinder
07-27-2003, 06:08 PM
don't think tthe link is correct :p

bigjko
07-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Oh, whoops. You're correct. The second link has been fixed now. :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I removed the scratches and put in dents instead, although round balls wouldn't create dents either but it looks better, has more of a subtle effect.

Shaykai
07-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Wow that looks a LOT better. Hmm... now that you have just a good piece, time to take it to the next level with some personal preferences of mine.
(you don't have to take these critiques since they are MY personal preferences)

I would add some grip or tape to the bat. I found that an easy way to do this is just angle and position torus' and then texture them with a shader. Then maybe add a strand of the tape hanging off of it.

Awesome work so far. Keep it up.

Shaykai

bigjko
07-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks, that's a great idea!

bigjko
07-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Update:

Added grip tape, protective glass casing, window, and more ambient lights.

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=226708

Smaller version:

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=226711

Shaykai
07-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Great job man. I love the grip and you've set up a nice scene. Although i think you should turn down the reflections on the glass and maybe get rid of the glass all together. You don't usually see a glass case going all the way to the floor. Maybe have it rest on another stand? or make the original bat stand larger? This is coming along great!

Shaykai

Garma
07-29-2003, 09:16 AM
I dont think its a bad idea to use glass for the stand, but you should check out a good tutorial or something for it. at first I thought it was metal, but then I wondered why I could look through it :hmm:

What software do you use? If Maya, check out the glass tutorial on alias|wavefront s website, its pretty good. You'll see glass is not just pretty much transparency, but also reflection (of course) and also refractions and some other things

bigjko
07-29-2003, 05:49 PM
I use Cinema 4D. And it's weird that you'd mention this, cause I used a material that Maxon supplied.

Well, maybe it's not that weird, cause I've heard Maxon's materials are often not too good.

And thanks for your comments. Maybe I'll either remove the glass or put it ontop of the existing stand, which I'll make bigger.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.